Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun, Holster, and Iron Cross Spange

Hi,

I am new here and was hoping you could help me..

My grandfather had this Bayard 1908 with a very unique holster.

It has an Iron Cross spange attatched to it. According to my grandfather, his cousin was in the party which captured some German troops. An officer threw this pistol in the weeds prior to surrender. I have been trying to put a value on this item but have been coming up empty handed. I have yet to find a single WWII holster with any decorations attached. Please let me know what you think about it and what it is worth on the market as a collectible.

Thanks!

It is not that uncommon to find WWII German holsters with different bits of insignia attached to them, but it is highly doubtful that it was put there by a German soldier. One of the favorites was the German eagle that went on the hat as it had the tabs on the back that made it easy to attach to the holster.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Peppers View Post
      It is not that uncommon to find WWII German holsters with different bits of insignia attached to them, but it is highly doubtful that it was put there by a German soldier. One of the favorites was the German eagle that went on the hat as it had the tabs on the back that made it easy to attach to the holster.
      I agree. I have seen perhaps a half dozen German holsters over the past several years and such embellishments always have been attributed to the soldier that liberated the pistol rig from its original owner.

Tim

Comment

Thanks

It is really great to finally get some information from people who know what they are talking about. Thank you very much and please keep up the good info.

Comment

Hi, I've seen a few holsters with eagles or pips etc.. attached, also on map cases and most commonly on belts, which are called 'hate' belts, but I dont know why.
          They are always done by the allied troops who 'captured' the items, IMO.
          I have a map case that use to have an eagle and a rank pip on it.

Jerry

Comment

Bayard

I don't see a lot of references to the Bayard 1908 being a German issue firearm. Was it an issued pistol or would this be a personal gun of someone?

Does it have any higher collectable value with the eagle on the holster? I guess what I am saying is would a collector want it in its current state or would the collector only see the parts as valuable?

Thanks again for the information!
            Last edited by Biskitz; 03-29-2010, 05:31 PM. Reason: changed wording

Comment

spange

After reading through the forums, I think that the spange is a 'Big Eye'

It has a lot of green corrosion where the pins go through the leather so I am not going to pull it off but that is what it looks like.

The pistol has had the firing pin broken off, supposedly in order for the vet to bring it home.

I am really looking for a ballpark value on this piece so I can sell it without getting hosed.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

bayard

The pistol also has the prussian eagle stampings and a crown stamp.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X