Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pacific

Hey Guys.

Ive heard you had the first part on HBO one week ago.

How was it?

im so curious about those miniseries...

A bit disjointed, not as good as Band of Brothers, IMO. I asked a few Guadalcanal vets, who participated in the battles depicted, and they told me alot is missing. But hey, it's a war flick and entertainment.

-Eric

Comment

I have viewed both episodes so far. At this point, and my opinion could change going forward, I don't believe it's as well done as "Band of Brothers."
      The actual length of each episode is only about 40 minutes, after the title sequence & brief veteran's remarks, and the episodes end about 10 minutes to the end of the hour.
      The Guadalcanal campaign is over, and the next episode appears to take place primarily on leave in Australia, with the obligatory romantic interludes, etc. Can't say that I'm very happy with that.
      I will continue to watch until the end, but I must say that, overall, I'm a bit underwhelmed at this juncture. Battle scenes have been short, but intense, and well done.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Well after the first 2 episode, I don't like it as the BoB.
        I have never talked with a US veteran but it was very weird in the film that only a few American soldiers died during a big fight and they killed more than 100 japanese...

Comment

Originally posted by Anubisz View Post
          I have never talked with a US veteran but it was very weird in the film that only a few American soldiers died during a big fight and they killed more than 100 japanese...
          Anubisz , isnt that in all movies?

thanks guys, i will ehmm, ehmm, download it -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post

True...

Comment

If you research the Guadalcanal campaign at all, you will find in many cases a great disparity between US and Japanese casualties. Given that the Japanese were almost always making headlong assaults against defending troops, one would expect high casualties for the attacking troops.
              The naval engagements ended up as close to a draw, in terms of ships sunk on both sides. As to casualties, I'm not sure, but certainly both sides had serious losses.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post

Hey guys, can you recommend any good download sites? I really want to see this series, but can't do so on TV from where I am, because I left the US 2 years ago.

Comment

www.torrentreactor.com , www.isohunt.com , its on every torrent site IMO.
                  Here is one for example: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5436...10_-_Part_1%29

Comment

http://www.hbo.com/#/the-pacific/epi...IyMgIAdc8XOA==

It looks there will be no fight in the part III.

Comment

Casualties and losses
                      Guadalcanal Campaign

United States
                      Australia
                      NewZealand

7,100 killed
                      4 captured
                      29 ships lost
                      615 aircraft lost

Empire of Japan

31,000 killed
                      1,000 captured
                      38 ships lost
                      683–880 aircraft lost
                      Last edited by Dennis GT; 03-26-2010, 11:08 PM.

Comment

The Pacific

Hello,
                        I like The Pacific but so far I prefer Band of Brothers.

Guadalcanal was very bloody and more US navy personal were lost in action than US Marines or US Army.

BTW, it was at Guadalcanal that Saburo Sakai was almost shot down (after his dogfight with Wildcat Pilot "Pug" Sutherland in which Sakai was the victor-"Pug" survived the action). Sakai was blinded in his right eye when a 30 caliber passed through his flight helmet (it occured when Sakai was diving on some torpedo bombers). It is amamzing that Sakai was able to make it all the way back to Rabaul.

It was also in navy actions off of Guadalcanal that the Sullivan Brothers were lost (all five of them). They served on board the USS Juneau and it went down on November 13, 1942 (four died on the ship and one died on a raft).

Regards,
                        Jody

Comment

www.torrentreactor.com , www.isohunt.com , its on every torrent site IMO.
                          Here is one for example: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5436...10_-_Part_1%29
                          Thank you!

Comment

Nice! Only dead body was a cow!
                            B&D PUBLISHING
                            Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Very disappointed in Episode 3, and so far, underwhelmed with the series. They have only 10 episodes, yet wasted one entire episode with carousing, and romantic interludes; this could have been done as part of an episode, at most.
                              Did the producers believe they would attract a female audience this way? I don't know many women who would have serious interest in 10 hours ( or 9!) of violent combat and foul language. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
                              I certainly hope things step up a notch, or six!

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X