The Würster Kuban shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Würster Kuban shield

There is to my knowledge only one Kuban shield in zinc.
    What makes this shield so special is not only that this is the only known Kuban shield in zinc but also that this the only Kuban shield with a makers mark.
    As sometimes the authenticity of this Kuban shield is doubted I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about this shield.

Here is the shield we are talking about
    Attached Files

Almost all of the Kuban shields of this type which I have seen come complete with backing cloth and paper. Always the backing cloth is a black cloth (maybe very, very dark blue) and the backing paper of a typical imitation leather look.

As I knew where to look for the maker mark but had no intentions to ruin a good shield I very carefully bend the backing plate back a little bit to find out if this shield had a makers mark. When holding the shield at the right angle I could indeed see the makers mark.

To take a picture of the mark I had to lift the backing plate only just enough not to damage the plate, paper and shield but enough to take a picture of the mark.
    Attached Files

Comment

Although it was not easy to take a picture from this angle, I think one can clearly see the initials "KWM" which I think can only mean this shield was made by Karl Würster Markneukirchen.
      Attached Files

Comment

Karl Würster is also known to have manufactured Krim shields and Demjansk shields. On this Kuban shield however the mark is different from the mark on the Krim and Demjansk shields.
        Attached Files

Comment

I can't explain why the makers mark on this Kuban shield is different to the Krim and Demjansk shield but if you look at the overall design of the Kuban shield I like to think that this design is leaning more towards the Art Deco style. The use of the KWM initials are also in that same style.

KR
          Pascal

Comment

Very interesting topic
            Pascal, I showed you this type of Kuban without KWM
            I have interesting questions
            1-Who is can show such a mark on other products KW after 1942?
            I'm talking about hallmark KWM Such as this Kuban ?
            2-Who is can see a similar logo in the manufacturer's catalogs?
            Advertising in newspapers or magazines of the time? after 1942?
            3-Who can show this panel on documentary photos the period after 1942
            This shield is very interesting and it involves a lot of mysteries
            Regards Andrei
            sorry for my English

Comment

Nice one Pascal!

We always thought this style was Wurster based on the type of backing paper used and it's nice to finally see one with a maker's mark!
              Tim

Comment

Very interesting...I didnt know Wurster made Demjansk. Pascal, can you please post a photo of the obverse of the Demjansk?

Regards,
                Chris G.

Comment

Hi Tim
                  What are the views, why KW changed the logo?
                  A trademark is a very important attribute of the firm
                  It is strange that the company changed its
                  And why do we not see this logo on other products of the company after 1942?
                  example PAB

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher G. View Post
                    Very interesting...I didnt know Wurster made Demjansk. Pascal, can you please post a photo of the obverse of the Demjansk?

Regards,
                    Chris G.
                    Hi Chris,

Sure, here is the obverse of the Wurster Demjansk.

Kr
                    Pascal
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tiff View Post
                      Hi Tim
                      Originally posted by tiff View Post
                      What are the views, why KW changed the logo?
                      A trademark is a very important attribute of the firm
                      It is strange that the company changed its
                      And why do we not see this logo on other products of the company after 1942?
                      example PAB

Really? What about Juncker; Schwerin; Meybauer; JMME & Sohn?? Do I really need to go on listing them? They all used various maker's marks on their wares over the time period.

It's a maker's mark, something some companies used on their products more than others and sometimes they didn't use them at all. Personally, I think we are putting way too much emphasis on this little item as these were made as uniform items, not highly prised jewels to show collectors 60+ years later who made what.

My two cents.
                      Tim

Comment

But we are talking about KW
                        I just want to find evidence that KW changed logo
                        I have not seen other products KW with the logo of the ,

Comment

Very informative.....indeed a very constructive thread. Thankyou Pascal, well done.

Phil

Comment

Kuban

Hi Pascal,
                            This is a great thread. Thank you.

Jody

Comment

I only recently discovered this highly interesting thread on the Kriegsmarine Uniforms and Equipment Forum. Here is a link to that thread KM Pith Eagle
                              For me as a shield collector to see the KM Eagle with the KWM mark in that thread is very exciting.

For me this proofs that the zinc Kuban with the same makers mark in this thread is original. Not that I ever doubted its originality but some did.......
                              Even more exiting is the fact that this is the first and only Kuban at this moment which we now without a doubt can link to a maker.

Kr
                              Pascal

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X