Return of Grossritter? eBay fake alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return of Grossritter? eBay fake alert

Greetings from Omaha, fellow collectors!

My name is Gil and I typically post on the Indochina thread.

One thing that Vietnam era and WWII collectors have in common is a plague of reproduction artists. Sometimes the same vendors are busy cranking out things for both audiences.

Case in point, about 9 years ago we had an operator on eBay known as "grossritter". I am sure folks on this thread can translate that better than I can.

For about two years he had constant listings for some very high dollar SS, Wehrmacht and US Special Forces memorabilia. His Vietnam fakes fooled people for awhile because they were much heavier and a better quality than what was coming out of Saigon at the time. However he had a tendency to embelish normal badges with added skulls, wings, engravings etc. He also had a steady supply of Special Forces berets that had all been aged identically. Eventually he was shot down in Vietnam collecting circles, and I believe the same happened with German collectors as well.

About three or four years ago similar items showed up for awhile from a source in the midwest. However I did not keep notes on that set of events.

Over this weekend I was advised to look on eBay at the offerings of one "rougepanzer". Based on the material and the Phoenix address, I believe our same vendor is back. (By the way, I imagine he meant to use "rogue panzer" as his ID, but that is another story.)
    Attached Files

As far as the metal work, it puzzled many of us for awhile. The current theory is that living in Phoenix he has access to Mexican silversmiths either in his city or right across the border. That would make sense from the standpoint of if you are going to make money from selling fakes you need a cheap source of supply. The quality of silversmiths from Mexico ranges from very good to excellent, and it would explain seeing badges of this weight.
    Attached Files

Comment

Backside of the above...
      Attached Files

Comment

Apparently stamped work is in his repetoire as well...
        Attached Files

Comment

Backside
          Attached Files

Comment

Another Panzer tab with a number...
            Attached Files

Comment

And backside...
              Attached Files

Comment

And a bullion patch as well... the backside was covered with a grey paper.
                Attached Files

Comment

I am the first to admit that I am not expert in this field. But looking at this sampling, I am struck by what appears to be artificial aging, especially on what I would think should be white piping. They all look the same.

If I am wrong about these, please let me know, and I will personally request that this thread be removed.

If you are curious about some of his Vietnam fantasy creations, please see the following thread on the WAF Indochina forum.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=420529

Good luck! Buyer beware!

Comment

I see he is still using his blow lamp to age the backs of his tabs

Comment

He has been on ebay under several names. I have posted about him before. He has a loyal clientele of morons who blindly keep buying his stuff and never seem to catch on. I used to email people on his stuff and it caused me some serious backlash, so I just said "screw it". The customers are never grateful...they think you are spewing sour grapes because you wanted their items, and on and on. This guy will keep doing it until he does it to the wrong person.

One day they will try and resell and then they will find out.

Richard

Comment

the amount of morons buying his stuff is amazing. it is year 2010 and vast knowledge is accessible thru forum and books... no buyers should allow themselves to be cheated.

Comment

To be honest if you're dumb enough to fall for any of those things given today's resources you should be made to wear them for ever as a lesson to you.

May his balls turn square and rot at the corners

Ian.

Comment

Ebay,Is that company still around ?

Comment

I believe this seller is known as the "3rd Reich Joke Shop" as his items are a joke, a very, very bad joke.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X