Bacqueville U-boat and Destroyer badges with an interesting story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacqueville U-boat and Destroyer badges with an interesting story

To share with all of you, my last two Bacqueville badges.
    I succeed to have these two badges with the son of a maritim constable who was in Paris in december 44.
    Here the story from the son in english and French.

"Both badges were discovered in December 1944 in the basement of the Staff of the Navy, 1 rue Royale in Paris by my father, the maritime constable ***** Albert, number **** B 37.
    Assigned as of December 11th 1944 from the Mediterranean area (Port of Marseilles) to the Atlantic sector, the constable ***** Albert is designated to integrate the Department of Marine brigade of research and ensure the bodyguard of Vice Admiral Georges Thierry d'Argenlieu, appointed at that time Vice-President of the Supreme Council of the Navy Inspector General and Marine Forces, when traveling outside the Staff of the Navy. As part of its functions within the brigade of research, he worked on documents, archives and objects left behind by the Kriegsmarine in Staff of the Navy during the liberation of Paris. Among these objects were badges, insignia specialty, grade, coils of braids, dishes, ..."

"Ces deux insignes de poitrine ont été découvert en décembre 1944 dans les sous-sols de l’État-major de la Marine, 1 rue Royale à Paris, par mon père, le gendarme maritime de 2ème classe ***** Albert, matricule **** B 37.
    Affecté à compter du 11 décembre 1944 du secteur Méditerranée (Port de Marseille) au secteur Atlantique, le gendarme Albert CLOITRE est désigné pour intégrer au Ministère de la Marine la brigade des recherches et assurer la garde rapprochée du Vice Amiral Georges THIERRY D’ARGENLIEU, nommé à cette date vice-président du Conseil supérieur de la marine et inspecteur général des Forces maritimes, lors de ses déplacements hors du ministère. Dans le cadre de ses fonctions au sein de la brigade des recherches, il a travaillé sur des documents, des archives ou des objets laissés sur place par la Kriegsmarine en son siège lors de la libération de Paris. Parmi ces objets figuraient notamment des insignes de poitrine, des insignes de spécialité, de grade, des bobines de galons, de la vaisselle, …"

Pic from the maritime constable ***** Albert, number **** B 37 in Paris.

The two badges from the Staff of the Navy, 1 rue Royale in Paris

Regards
    Ben
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 01-31-2014, 09:01 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

I don't know. Still 2nd hand accounts. No way of knowing that these are the badges. Still comes down to if you believe that French Bacqueville badges are a reality war time production or not.

Regards,
    JustinG

Judge the merchandise/award, not the story. _one of the members here has that for their quote.
    One that seems true in this case.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
      I don't know. Still 2nd hand accounts. No way of knowing that these are the badges. Still comes down to if you believe that French Bacqueville badges are a reality war time production or not.

Regards,
      JustinG

Judge the merchandise/award, not the story. _one of the members here has that for their quote.
      One that seems true in this case.

Thanks for sharing.
      Yep, who knows!!!
      Cheers, Steve
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

I've heard this story from several sources, (while living in Belgium) that these French pattern KM badges indeed did come from a basement of a former KM office in Paris.
        I believe it because of the various (vet) sources claiming the exact same thing. These were found there, I have no doubts, but just never issued for some reason... I'm a believer and this post reconfirms my feelings!
        In the early or mid 90's the French "Militaria" magazine did a piece on these.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
          I've heard this story from several sources, (while living in Belgium) that these French pattern KM badges indeed did come from a basement of a former KM office in Paris.
          I believe it because of the various (vet) sources claiming the exact same thing. These were found there, I have no doubts, but just never issued for some reason... I'm a believer and this post reconfirms my feelings!
          In the early or mid 90's the French "Militaria" magazine did a piece on these.
          I still don't understand, and perhaps never will, why believe based on 2nd hand information??? I know it's a rhetorical question because there's no good answer...
          Cheers, Steve
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X