Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM Breast Eagle

Hello folks,

I'm not into German items, but yesterday a collegue of mine gave me this item:

I was told on another forum, that this is a original KM breast eagle for a summer tunic. Can anyone confirm this?? Does anyone got any idea what an item like this goes for??

Thanks in advange!

Marco.

KM Eagle

Confirmed...Naval Breast Eagle for summer tunic

Comment

I have not seen this style before but its looks like a original to me.

Andy

Comment

looks good to me

Comment

I notice the same type/maker eagle is for sale on e-stand right now but with a broken hook and asking 85 Euro which I think is too high given the damage (at least for North American buyers given the exchange rate). I generally see these eagles go for between $80 and $125 U.S. with the upper value reserved for these maker-marked examples or lovely mint examples, higher if you're impatient and go with one of the high-end dealers, but then you'd run into re-sale problems.
          Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

By the way, I've seen this type like Marco's here with the "M in diamond" mark several times. Does anyone know what it means, i.e. a particular maker or perhaps "M" for Marine?
            And has anyone seen an example with provenance? The very fact that some are marked "M in diamond" and others are marked Schwerin which look mighty similar makes me still undecided on their authenticity.
            Cheers.
            ---Norm
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Norm F; 01-18-2010, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Previous threads on this topic:
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ummer+eagle%22
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...M+summer+eagle
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=diamond

And even a reproduction of one!:
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=diamond

And can someone remind me, is there not a maker of buttons with "M in diamond", in which case who is the maker?

---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm,

thanks for posting - the Breast eagle is astonishingly beautiful and is still for sale.
                While these are not rare, good pieces have been hard to come by.

Check this link out:
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=408433

Sincerely,
                Mil

Comment

M maker is associated with Maedicke. Hope this helps. I have 2 eagles with this marker but mine have the flat oblong retining pins coming from the Swastika, not the barrel pins you have.
                  Interesting.

Regards
                  JustinG
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the lead, Justin. So from a quick search now I see this M in diamond is seen on some Krim shields and the working theory is it represents J.C. Maedicke, Berlin, who also makes belt buckles.
                    Although unconfirmed so far, it's interesting that these eagles so closely resemble those marked Schwerin, another Berlin firm.
                    Regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys! Great info, I think this one will leave my collection. I think it's beautiful, but just not my cup of thea.
                      Again, thanks!

Comment

more about Maedecke

I'd like to explore this M in diamond maker mark a bit more.
                        Although attributed to Maedecke, I gather the evidence is circumstantial.

To start, here are some Maedecke buttons from the Imperial era. No "M in diamond at that time", and known as I.C Maedecke instead of J.C. Maedecke. Note the style of circular arrangement of "I.C. Maedecke" and "Berlin" flanked by two small stars.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Now here is the WWII era Maedecke stamp on a buckle tab. Remarkably similar arrangement with the 2 small stars, but now says "J.C. Maedecke" and includes the year.
                          Attached Files

Comment

And finally, here are two KM buttons with the "M in diamond" mark. Note the 2 small stars flanking the year. From what I can see all these "M in diamond" buttons have the 2 small stars, reminiscent of Maedecke's mark. Sure the occasional Assman or FLL button has stars but in a different arrangement and most of their buttons actually don't.
                            Circumstantial evidence is all I can find so far but can be summarized as this:
                            1) The similarity is noted between marked Maedecke imperial buttons and leather tabs, and "M in diamond" KM buttons, both with the 2 small stars.
                            2) The fact that Maedecke is a Berlin firm and the the "M in diamond" summer breast eagle looks so similar to that of another Berlin firm, namely Schwerin (but bearing in mind we haven't yet seen examples of these with clear provenance to the period).

If anyone has any other "M in diamond" marks to cast light upon this topic please post.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about the typo in the previous posts. I kept writing "Maedecke" instead of the correct "Maedicke".

---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X