Allg ss 3rd foot regiment - how early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allg ss 3rd foot regiment - how early?

comments please on this fine original group portrait of '3rd' troopers.
    they wear the '1' cuff title and as you'd expect the photog mark shows a nuremberg address. I got the image in a period frame with celluloid
    pane on front.

I make this as 1933-34 b/c the new-style box form kepis and belt buckles are being work along with the old-style swivel clip for the shoulder strap. but: no shoulder straps as ordered already in 1930??

also I think 'early' coz these fellows look like they still have their war faces - so I'd guess the ''kampfzeit' is still on in some regions. (and note the medic in back. also notice the grim little boy 'mascot' above the un-titled fahne.)

also - anyone know who's who - at least the sturmfuehrer in center? and what's the venue?

I'd show the reverse and its great ink-stamps but prefer not to for obvious reasons... there is a mention of 'f.m.' were fotos a token for contributing members? anyway I hope you enjoy the pic.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

3 - also interesting thecommander still wea wes wears the kepi and not the (still unavailable?) schirmmutze...
      Attached Files

Comment

last
        Attached Files

Comment

and mollo says officers' tabs didn't get 'solid' until sep. '34 - so this is at least that early, eh? finally what's the thing on the inside corner of his rank tab? it's not on the pic

Comment

Great photo. I believe this unit was based in Nürnberg. Unfortunately, I cannot see any well known faces, but I think the inclusion of the young boy is an unusual touch. Thanks for posting it.
            Max.

Comment

thanks max; yes the photog's stamp has a nurnberg address.

Comment

3rd ss

Very interesting pics thanks for posting,nice one Max what would
                we do without you!!!
                Harmel

Comment

I make it mid-1932 to mid-1933.

Great photo.

Comment

thanks a lot robin. luckily it hasn't been sun-faded.

Comment

Nürnberg, and the Kampfzeit in Franconia was always on a higher level then in other regions for my view. This was a very brown cultured area.

Comment

I today got this excellent note from a knowledgeable source:

"The Haupttruppfuehrer for this unit in September 1932 was a man called Degenhart. It is most likely him with a promotion."

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
                        Nürnberg, and the Kampfzeit in Franconia was always on a higher level then in other regions for my view. This was a very brown cultured area.

Comment

Originally posted by inimicus View Post
                          I today got this excellent note from a knowledgeable source:

"The Haupttruppfuehrer for this unit in September 1932 was a man called Degenhart. It is most likely him with a promotion."
                          Your source is referring to Christoph Degenhart, DOB 21 Mar 1898, NSDAP 6 571, SS 4 914. His ranking was as follows: SS-Sturmführer 6 Sept 1932; SS-Obersturmführer 24 Dec 1933; SS-Sturmhauptführer 14 May 1934; SS-Sturmbannführer 20 Apr 1935; SS-Obersturmbannführer 30 Jan 1937; SS-Standartenführer 30 Jan 1942. He held the Golden Party Badge and the EK2 and was attached to the Staff SS-Oberabschnitt Main. Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of him, so I cannot confirm whether or not it's him in your photo, but I think the chances are extremely strong.
                          Hope this is of some use.
                          Max.

Comment

remarkably useful, max. thanks so much!

Originally posted by max history View Post
                            Your source is referring to Christoph Degenhart, DOB 21 Mar 1898, NSDAP 6 571, SS 4 914. His ranking was as follows: SS-Sturmführer 6 Sept 1932; SS-Obersturmführer 24 Dec 1933; SS-Sturmhauptführer 14 May 1934; SS-Sturmbannführer 20 Apr 1935; SS-Obersturmbannführer 30 Jan 1937; SS-Standartenführer 30 Jan 1942. He held the Golden Party Badge and the EK2 and was attached to the Staff SS-Oberabschnitt Main. Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of him, so I cannot confirm whether or not it's him in your photo, but I think the chances are extremely strong.
                            Hope this is of some use.
                            Max.

Comment

Great photo!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X