Help with ribbon bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with ribbon bar

I need help working out the medals on the ribbon bar . Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files

Very nice!!!

Do you know who he was? (I have prodigious quantities of German naval officers' personal data )

What you have there are:

1)1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class (it may be the 1939 but I don't think so from the width of the edges. Given the HARD war he was having, if it was a 1914, he should be wearing a buttonhole Spange. If not, it's the 1939.)
    2)WW1 Hindenburg Cross for Combatants (the dark red center stripe blending in with the black)
    3)Austrian WW1 Commemorative Medal for Combatants
    4)1938 Sudeten Annexation Medal
    5)WW1 Hungarian Commemorative Medal for Combatants, and
    6)WW1 Bulgarian Commemorative Medal for Combatants.

From his lack of Wehrmacht long service ribbons, this KaptLt was either a Reserve officer or a former Imperial regular (Oberlt aD-ish) called back for WW2 zV.

Comment

Ribbon bar

Thanks Rick. Here is the full photo. Maybe the seller can provide further details. I will contact him again. The photo was with more stuff from the Scharnhorst.
      Attached Files

Comment

OK, that must be a 1939 EK 2 then (this finish process type of photo reds and blacks come out the same looking)... so all those "WW1s" and basically he must have been a Fähnrich who would only have had a Mere Hindenburg Cross for 1918!

He more than made up for that in the Second war, though!

A superb photo of an "over the hill" but Extreme Action WW2 naval officer!

It says "Ferd Seebohm 1942" in the bottom right, but the way and where it is so neatly placed makes me think that was the photographer, rather than this man's autograph. I don't find a Ferdinand Seebohm in the pre-WW2 German Naval Officers Association (MOH) or the 1914-1918 Navy Honor Rank List.
        Attached Files

Comment

Ribbon bar

Does this help? Can you translate this? It is at the back of a photo which was part of the same lot (it seems to be blurred on the photo but it is much better on the actual scan I have. Maybe I can email you?)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by TerryG; 12-25-2003, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Ribbon bar

The 4th ribbon appears to have a number of lines instead of the broad band featuring on the Sudeten medal. Can you see that also?

Comment

Originally posted by TerryG
              The 4th ribbon appears to have a number of lines instead of the broad band featuring on the Sudeten medal. Can you see that also?
              ...so it could also be a Olympic medal.

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Nope, I can't see that, but I agree with Daniel-- that's a '36 Olympics medal rather than a Sudeten if you can see many small stripes.

The first text is simply war Christmas 1942 greetings with a patriotic quotation and no signature at all.

Second one is what seems to be a last name, can't read.

Third one I had taken to be "Ferd. Seebohm" but now looks like "Ferd. Urbahns" 1942... another name I don't find as an officer and suspect was the photographer, maybe.

These are just too fuzzy for me to get more out of them.

Comment

Ribbon bar

Thank you. I would love to find a similar ribbon bar so does anybody know of any? Also, has anybody got information/photos on the Scharnhorst and her officers?

Comment

Photographers name.

Terry,

The signature is of the photographer, Ferdinand Urbahns of Kiel, Germany. A google search will give you more info on him, He was pretty well known.

Regards,
                    Jason

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X