One more F. Zimmermann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more F. Zimmermann

I just couldn't resist this marked F. Zimmermann on the e-stand recently. I really like the beading on these crosses. I would give anything to find one with the beading still frosted white.
    Attached Files

rev
    Attached Files

Comment

mm
      Attached Files

Comment

Terrific!! I love the wide beading on these. The period after the '6' must be there in order to distinguish it from a '9,' right?

Judging from your photos it seems like perhaps Fritz Zimmermann was one of the many companies to have sourced their cores form S&L. Would you agree?

High on my list of Packeted EK2s to get.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
          Terrific!! I love the wide beading on these. The period after the '6' must be there in order to distinguish it from a '9,' right?

Judging from your photos it seems like perhaps Fritz Zimmermann was one of the many companies to have sourced their cores form S&L. Would you agree?

High on my list of Packeted EK2s to get.
          IMO, looking at only the obverse half of the core one would think so, although there appears to be differences in the swasi (shallower than S&L, and symetrically different). The '1939' is very close. The reverse core date features have little in common with S&L. The '8' rides high above the rest of the numbers on the F. Zimmermann, and the '3' is different also. Large photos really reveal the differences in the two. I'm of the opinion that F. Zimmermann produced their own cores, and only for themselves.

Comment

Very nice, Robert! And don't forget --when it comes to EKs, there's always "one more"!
            George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson View Post
              Very nice, Robert! And don't forget --when it comes to EKs, there's always "one more"!
              Yes.

I'll add, I have (3) marked F. Zimmermann EKII's and all share the same components. No changes in cores, frames, etc.

Edit: Here's my threesome...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by robert pierce; 11-07-2009, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                all share the same components. No changes in cores, frames, etc.
                Interesting. Wasn't there a pretty good fake a while back that was initially mistaken for a Zimmermann due to its wide beading? I recall it had very thin date numerals, and was originally supposed to be a Zimmermann with a different core before being exposed as a counterfeit. Does anyone else remember that?
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Trevor,

This cross you are referring to has been deemed a good F. Zimmermann with a new core and reworked frame. I too at first introduction to this cross thought it to be a copy of an original, but now accept it as as stated above. Here is a photo...
                  Attached Files

Comment

really very nice Robert and you 're right, beading of these Zimmermanns is special !!!

Comment

Nice crosses Robert, what a nice patina on these beauties

Comment

Outstanding Robert!
                        Cheers, Steve
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

they are one of my favourite EK's

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X