Schinkel EK2 known as Intermixed or Halbschinkel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schinkel EK2 known as Intermixed or Halbschinkel

These EK2s are some of my favorite of the entire 1939 series.

They are often called "Intermediate" or "Intermixed" (a term coined by Daniel here on the WAF). I've also heard them referred to as "Halbschinkels" ("Half Schinkels"). However, all these names are predicated on the idea that this is an intermediate design, used somewhere between the early Schinkels we all know (Deumers and Meybauers) and the standard-issue 44mm 1939 EK2s.

I respectfully disagree with this hypothesis and believe this one to be a genuine Schinkel, defined as a 1939-series cross made with (leftover) frames from 1914-series EKs.

While no direct match has been found among Imperial EKs for this frame, its overall dimensions (43.4mm x 43.1mm) and shape match 1914-series EKs exactly. Thus I think that this one should properly be called "Schinkel by unknown maker." But the other terms are useful for identification, and will probably continue in use.

Its distinguishing characteristics are the Imperial-sized frame, the distinctive narrow beading style (seen in the photos), and the wavy-top of the '3' on the obverse side and reverse side dates. They are 3-piece and magnetic.

Here are some threads in which this type is shown and discussed:

Schinkel EK II rare version

The Iron Cross second class 1939 than Schinkel version

Schinkel EK2 2-place medalbar

There's also a thread in which we've attempted (unsuccessfully) to find a match among marked Imperial frames. Please look through your Imperial EKs and see if you can find a match! If so, post it here:

EKII help needed! 1939 Schinkel vs 1914 frame

Obverse:

Reverse:

Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Trevor, This is a very interesting looking cross, The beading is almost flat or burnished? Also the core date is interesting in its fine and thin numbers!
    The frame beading is interesting in that all outher corners look to be hand finished and different! I would... like You, like to see another example like this.
    I have not taken the time yet to read the linked threads but look forward to doing so.
    The Green pond scum looking attack on the core seems to have spread to the frame, What is this in Your opinion?
    Nice Example! I was not able to find a match in the threads.... I wonder what the experten will have to say?
    Kevin
    Last edited by WEISNER; 07-29-2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Hi Trevor,
      you are right this is really a beautiful intermixed, may be the better of the club !!!
      I liked the explanation also !!!

Comment

Hi Trevor,

nice one. What is the thickness of the frame?

Thanks,
        Michel

Comment

Very nice! Are there anything left of the hump? What about the frame material and frosting on yours? Checked mine for traces of frosting and found some small spots of "silver color" but not sure if it really is frosting or just parts that were better protected by the clear laquer. This method was often used to protect the high grade silver plating, or silver frames, so they would not oxidize.
          Last edited by Roglebk; 07-30-2009, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Here's my example.
            Attached Files
            George

Comment

The reverse.
              Attached Files
              George

Comment

Hello George,
                you also have a very nice intermixed, really grat conditions and fine old patina !! Thanks for share it.

guys, have you seen that one charateristic of this cross is little ring soldered in just one side ? the same method used by Souval and not many others..
                Attached Files
                Last edited by fabri-online; 07-31-2009, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Nice one George, oxidation matches mine very good, hard to tell what kind of material they used in the frames.

Fabri, mine has the jumpring soldered on only one side too. Just as the Schinkel B, 'stippled core w raised swas' R3 and the Meybauer Schinkel. It's always the front that is soldered.

Comment

Originally posted by Roglebk View Post
                    Fabri, mine has the jumpring soldered on only one side too. Just as the Schinkel B, 'stippled core w raised swas' R3 and the Meybauer Schinkel. It's always the front that is soldered.
                    Hi Carl,
                    thanks for confirmation and for others interesting infos

Comment

Hey Fabrizio,

I had a chance to check mine as well, and it is also soldered only on the front side.

Good eye.
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Comment

Just dragging this thread back up to show this recent arrival (Thanks Ben!),
                        The jumpring is soldered on both sides on this one.

Regards - Danny
                        Attached Files

Comment

jumpring...
                          Attached Files

Comment

It's a lovely cross Danny !

Comment

Really very nice cross -- I think the most beautiful Schinkel. The shape is the most like the "typical" 1914 EK2 (if there is such a thing) of any Schinkel. Congratulations.
                              Last edited by streptile; 09-02-2010, 06:29 PM.
                              Best regards,
                              Streptile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X