Tunic of a Jaeger Captain of the Austrian Second Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunic of a Jaeger Captain of the Austrian Second Republic

This was the first post war Austrian tunic that I bought. It was on an auction house for months bills as a Hungarian uniform, which I knew it wasn't, and I debated about getting into yet another collecting field. Eventually my curiosity got yhe better of me and I bought the uniform. Since then my interest has grown and I've met a few other Austrian collectors and it is nice to know that I am not alone in my interest in these uniforms.
    The green backing on the collar tabs indicates a Jaeger (infantry in the Bundesheer). The embroidered stars the rank of captain. It came with three thread loops for medals in the old Austro-Hungarian Empire style. It also had two smaller thread loops for the wear of a ribbon bar. These two things alone would have made this an interesting tunic. There are no markings in it but the thread loops probably indicate an early uniform from the first days of the Bundesheer.
    I had some advice in what medals I should put on the tunic which I took. I discovered subsequesntly that the "Goldenes Ehrenzeichen fur Verdienste um die Republic Osterreich" (the medal on the left as viewed by you) is too high a grade for a Captain. He would more likely have been awarded the "Silbernes Verdienstzeichen der Republic Osterreich" which I will post a picture of later.
    Now for the tunic.
    Attached Files

The collar tabs.
    Attached Files

Comment

The officers shoulder cord.
      Attached Files

Comment

Tunic buttons.
        Attached Files

Comment

A close up of the medals.
          Attached Files

Comment

My posts to this thread were interupted by supper and other family business so now to continue. This tunic shows no signs of ever having an arm shield attached to either of the sleeves. I was part of a discussion on another thread on Austrian cammo uniforms where we have confirmed that the first sleeve badge adopted by the Bundesheer was for the Border Guard in 1961. Until then no arm badges were worn. That probably helps me to date this Jaeger tunic as being worn sometime between 1955 and circa 1961+. What we have not discussed yet was when the common arm shields were introduced for all members of the armed forces.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X