Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waffen-SS: Knights cross winner photos (Hoffmann cards)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen-SS: Knights cross winner photos (Hoffmann cards)

Original Hoffmann postcards you can see:
    hoffmann postcards from the waffen-ss are only with the number original, other are fantasy cards!
    ralf
    down you can see the photos, number is writting!

Waffen-SS: Klingenberg

with stamped signature of Klingenberg.
    on the backside with No. R 78

Comment

Waffen-SS

number on the backside of original hoffmann postcard
      Klingenberg = R 12
      Klingenberg = 1525
      Eicke = 78
      Pannier = R 116
      Weißer = R 122
      Kumm = R 138
      Skorzeny = 174
      Sepp Dietrich = 187
      Sepp Dietrich = 1556
      Steiner = R 212
      Gille = R 215
      von Scholz = R 224
      Frey = R 229
      Priess = R 253

the fake Diergaten had no number!

Comment

more

more

Comment

more

more

Comment

more

more

Comment

more

more

Comment

Now you can see the fantasy fake!

Its a fantasy Hoffmann postcard! No Original!
                Diergarten!
                Backside without No

regards
                ralf
                Attached Files

Comment

Otto Kumm( with a other rank)

now the second Kumm. when you compare with the first card.
                  the second card is Kumm with a other rank.
                  Original handwritting wartime signed from Kumm!
                  A wartime signature of Kumm is rarer than a Sepp Dietrich or Gille signature!
                  ralf

Comment

Hi Ralf
                    Many thanks for the info. Demelhuber is number 1533 or 1583.
                    Regards
                    Denis

Comment

The "fake" cards seem to lack translucent tape effect on their names, and they use completely different font.

Comment

Here is a comparison between a fake card of Frey and the original posted by Ralf.
                        Note that the fake displays a "shortened" sight (ribbon bar almost invisible, caption at the level of the KC and not below)
                        When I thought that the "fantasy" cards were postwar reprints from wartime cards, I base my opinion on these 2 photos.

The good one from Ralf
                        Attached Files

Comment

The bad one
                          Attached Files

Comment

Unanswered Questions

I have been thinking about this a lot and I have to say that I am not convinced on the Fakes from what has been posted so far.

Saying that because the paper is different, or there is no number does not necessarly make them post war cards or Fakes. The printing on the reverse of the not numbered cards is also larger BTW.

I will say, that if they are fakes, they are pretty good, and someone went to a lot of trouble and expense to accurately copy the originals PC`s style.

The cards in question also are not as sharp as the numbered Hoffmann PC`s, they are usually not " Studio " shots, but in the field outside shots. If so, then a smaller Camera, producing a smaller Negative was used. In fact they look like copies to me, but that does not make them Post War.

Since many of the non numbered copies look like they were done late in the war, many things could account for this.

1: Hoffmann bought negatives from other photographers and printed them.

3. He could not get numbered photo paper as the war progressed.

2. Perhaps Hoffmanns studio was destroyed/damaged in the bombings, and he never used numbers on the new photos.

For me the big questions are:

Did Hoffmann and / or the negatives survive the war. Where was his studio ?

Has anyone an original Wartime list of all the Hoffmann RKT PC`s ?

Has anyone seen a non numbered Hoffmann used in wartime with a date stamp ?

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,

I have to disagree that all Hoffman from the Waffen SS series are not all numbered as this would be pure speculation. I have had original Hoffman Waffen SS PCs that do not have numbers. The idea of using the numbers as an indicator of an original vs. fake is way to universal. The fake SS cards are easily spotted, even the good ones. The margining the reverse of the fakes is blacker than a high gray scale as well as lacking the sharpness in detail; the fakes have a rubber stamp like look.

- Also the fakes are glossier to the front than originals as originals have almost a dulled powered finish from age.

- On the fakes the margins are also off from the originals as well as picture composition.

- A reasonable staring point is to black light the card from the reverse, as there are original pieces that will fluoresce, the Waffen SS series is not part of that.

- The fakes are always going to be darker; meaning the gray scales and blacks.

A very important note, worth mentioning is that recently there has been a huge influx of fake Waffen SS pcs to hit the market.

@ Ralf, what is the source of your information regarding that unless the cards are numbered they are fake?

Hoffman series PCs were a huge enterprise, and Hoffman used multiple photographers as well as studios to take pictures that eventually bore his name, as well as buying from freelance photographers. Also employed were multiple printing firms from all over Germany to produce such large runs.

Therefore, IMHO I think it is incorrect to use such universal terms, as they could be misleading.

Cordially yours,
                              JD
                              What we do in life ehoes in eternity.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X