Prelude to Monte Cassino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prelude to Monte Cassino

Sixty five years ago today, on 4 December 1943, elements of the British X Corps, which had been trying to capture Monte Camino for a month in the most horrible winter weather, finally fought their way to the mountain top. They were once more beaten back by German counter attack. Monte Camino lies to the south of another mountain where combat would evolve into one of the hardest battles of the war, Monte Cassino.

Perhaps our friend Marco can show us some of his superb "then and now" photos from Monte Camino and Mignano Gap.
    Esse Quam Videri

Hi John...and thanks for your words about a battle was happened very close to my "homeland"..
    Unfortunately is not easy to go directly to Mt.Camino, because today like 65 years ago, terrain is very hard, but I want to give a tribute to all the men that fought and died here (my only limit is my not perfect english...but I hope all understand my words)

This is the map of the area. I just added arrows for better understand the battlefield:
    Attached Files

Comment

This is a period map (from US Army official book) of the area...
      Attached Files

Comment

This is the "Mignano Gap" from the top of Monte Lungo...do you remember John? We was here together!
        Attached Files

Comment

Some shots about british 56th Infantry division soldiers during the battle for Mt. Camino...the winter 1943-44 was very terrible..rain, snow and wind.
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

combats near some houses of Mt. Camino...
                    Attached Files

Comment

A GERMAN PILLBOX. Machine-gun bunkers, mortar emplacements, and personnel shelters were made of local stone and in a setting of rock walls were invisible at a distance. Timbers and ties supported their overhead cover. Direct hits of heavy mortar shells did not penetrate them. Pillbox like this was on Monte Lungo also..
                      Attached Files

Comment

In the battle for Mt. Camino was....russians soldier also!
                        Major Gen Vasiliev on his visit to the Battle ground, this came about because Stalin accused the British and Americans for not doing enough when his men were loosing thousands at Stalingrad and on te Western front, he was invited to send his general to Italy to see the conditions for himself, Vasiliev went up Camino and quickly came down again and was heard to keep repeating "Mud and Blood" - "Mud and Blood" they never heard anymore from Stalin after that.
                        The russian military group was formed by 10 soldiers...3 of this died on Mt. Camino because put feets on German booby traps.
                        Attached Files

Comment

One of this russian soldiers is buried in British cemetery of Cassino...this is his grave (I take this photo from russian embassy historical office that ask to me last year)
                          Attached Files

Comment

A memorial stone for the british soldiers that fought on Mt. Camino (dedicated by French Expeditionary Corps) on his top.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow impressiv, thanks for sharing, Can't wait to see more! If anything happened on the 3th of December I also want to know (my birthday)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X