One for the "Book"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for the "Book"

Have had several of these, but this one is over the top for condition.
    Attached Files

t2
    Attached Files

Comment

t3
      Attached Files

Comment

t4
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice

Comment

So sweet! A keeper for sure!

Comment

Ring

How about some photos of the other side, and at least SOME of the engraving?

Comment

Ring

I'm sure my post will make me very unpopular, but I feel that this rings needs further scrutiny. I base my statement on the fact that many of the leaves are not consistent with photos of other mint originals. This could be possibly be attributed to the photos themselves, more than usual original hand tooling due to possible casting flaws, or someone trying to repair damaged areas. Carefully compare the "Oettlin" and "Geldern" rings in Don Boyle's first book. On both examples, the leaves are all virtually identical in every detail, with the only tiny differences due to wear. Then compare the leaves on this ring with these or ANY other known originals, and there are some serious discrepancies. EXAMPLES: 1.What happened to the upper 2 leaves to the right of the Ty-rune? 2.The large gap between the upper and lower leaves to the left of the SS-runes. 3.Very odd-shaped grooves on the leaf on the lower right side of the Hagel-rune. Another LARGE gap between this leaf and the leaf above it. This is the leaf at 2 o'clock on the Hagel-rune. The top part of this leaf by the border is more sharp and angular than usual. This pattern of mis-shapen leaves occurs in so many places, it makes me suspicious. I'm not saying it's a fake ring. It just warrants further scrutiny. Just compare to other known originals on the forum.

Comment

Ring

One thing I forgot to mention is the EXTREME beveling of the leaves. Usually, they're quite beveled, but on this ring, they're almost beveled into flat surfaces.
                  Whazzup??

Comment

I agree with the 2 posts above. Fake or real, this ring made from a different die than any of the known originals that I have examined. If it is believed to be period, I would be very interested in hearing the explaination for the difference.

Comment

TK Ring

Agree with Phild - This ring should be discussed before it drops off the radar. It has qualities that, at first glance are convincing, such as the deep beveling of the leaves. WHERE did it come from? This isn't about being overly critical, but if I just bought this ring, I would want some answers. It is obviously a late style ring, yet does not have the same characteristics to the leaf cutouts. The easiest way to check this is look at the photos of the two rings in Don's first book, and other photos on the forum. Concentrate especially on the leaves where they touch the border on top and bottom of the ring. Even on a worn ring, EACH leaf tip has it's own characteristic shape. Some touch the border. Some are a little further away. Some are pointy, some are rounded. GOOD POINT, PHILD, THAT IT CAME FROM A DIFFERENT MOLD THAN OTHER KNOWN ORIGINALS. HOWEVER, if it IS an original ring from an entirely different Gahr mold, then it wouldn't have the SAME KNOWN DIE FLAWS!! It would have different die flaws. I think it's possibly one of those superfakes that went awry. It it IS an original ring, then it's been re-tooled or re-worked at some time. The owner obviously spent a lot for a mint ring, and he or she deserves to get some answers while the gettin's good !!

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
                        THAT IT CAME FROM A DIFFERENT MOLD THAN OTHER KNOWN ORIGINALS. HOWEVER, if it IS an original ring from an entirely different Gahr mold, then it wouldn't have the SAME KNOWN DIE FLAWS!! It would have different die flaws. I think it's possibly one of those superfakes that went awry. It it IS an original ring, then it's been re-tooled or re-worked at some time. The owner obviously spent a lot for a mint ring, and he or she deserves to get some answers while the gettin's good !!
                        I'm not seeing at least some of the die flaws that I always find in originals. It may be just the photos, however the details are so sharp on this one I would think that some of the always found 40s flaws would jump out.

I also earlier came to a similar idea like you expressed about enhancement perhaps even during the period by Gahr...but I would have to see the evidence of it at this point as I feel that some of the design detail of the leaves is too far off for that.....as you sort of mentioned as well.

Comment

Tkr

The die flaws at the top and bottom of the Ty-Rune emblem background appear to be there. The horizontal line at approx. 2 o'clock in the Hagal-Rune background is there, and the horizontal nick at the top of the Sig-Rune triangle (to your left of the skull) is there, and the horizontal deep cut at the bottom of the same Sig-Rune appears to be there. The existence of ANY of these flaws rules out a disticntly separate original mold being used. Why would the same die flaws be present, and yet almost every leaf is different? If the ring had the deep flaws at the back of the ring originally, it never would have been presented. Minor discrepancies may be present from hand tooling, but there wouldn't be so many. So let's see some more pics of the other side, and the inside. We're trying to help here!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X