• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camo Experts

Has this a chance?

Best Bob

No one?

Comment

The fact that the cloth is only printed on 1 side is a bad sign. These were meant to be reversable. SS camo field caps are just 'dangerous' to begin with. They need to have some pretty strong provenance to be taken seriously.

Comment

On these caps, I don't think provenance means anything. There are issued caps of easily identifiable construction and there are private made caps, which may or may not be wartime. When dealing with anything but the issue caps, it is only faith. The exception is the period photo of THAT PARTICULAR cap in wear.

Bob Hritz
        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I agree with Bob.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
            The exception is the period photo of THAT PARTICULAR cap in wear. Bob Hritz
            Which can be faked if there is enough money involved. I'd pass on this piece. I too noticed the lack of two-sided camouflaged printing. Most of these field-made caps were manufactured using zeltbahns, which were reversible.

Bob Wirtz

Comment

The piece was aparently made from cloth coming from a oak winter parka or winter trousers. Perhaps made from a removed hood.

From these pics it is impossible to say for sure if fieldmade or not. It is definatly not factory made and "most likely" also not fieldmade.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                It is definatly not factory made and "most likely" also not fieldmade.
                Thanks for the valued information that everybody put down. My sentiments exactly

Best Bob

Comment

Excellent observaton Fritz, I thought It would be you who spotted that.

This cap Is made from the single sided rayon used to produce parkas, with tan and water re-enforcements of the same cloth. I have to say that I have seen these caps before and they all seem to have an element of production line assembly about them. I have seen 2 other examples, a green (spring) variant which also had the tan and water internal re-enforcements like this one and a very heavily faded and worn example in tan and water. this doesn't make them right of course, someone could have cut up a couple of parkas but there are others out there.

I'm sure all I've done Is added to the confusion but thought I had better mention It.

Yours, Guy.

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                  The piece was aparently made from cloth coming from a oak winter parka or winter trousers. Perhaps made from a removed hood.

From these pics it is impossible to say for sure if fieldmade or not. It is definatly not factory made and "most likely" also not fieldmade.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by Beau Brummel. View Post
                    I have to say that I have seen these caps before and they all seem to have an element of production line assembly about them. I have seen 2 other examples, a green (spring) variant which also had the tan and water internal re-enforcements like this one and a very heavily faded and worn example in tan and water. this doesn't make them right of course, someone could have cut up a couple of parkas but there are others out there.

Yours, Guy.
                    Guy,
                    Thank you for that enlightening information

This for me is the final nail in the coffin, its hard enough to find factory production caps but to find 3 so called field made caps 2 in ss pattern, one bright and one worn and faded and one in army pattern all constructed the same way and of course all in the UK what are the odds of that!

I would expect that field made caps would have been made by a company tailor who would be familiar with the basic construction of the issue caps and how they were sewn together, the cap listed above looks like it has been made by "yes" someone who can use a sewing machine but is unfamiliar with the correct construction techniques of the period, probably made for some historical re enactor to wear while running around a field in the UK.

Best
                    Bob

Comment

By the way here is the sellers description of the cap and has a price tag of £1895.00

SS FIELD MADE CAM0 CAP Absolutly period original field made camo cap, probabaly made for an officer, made from the Oakleaf camo material used for pruduction of the autumn/winter parka, outside colour remain bright, inside is unprinted, the stiffener for the peak appears to be leather and is very supple, the cap loosly follows the factory pattern of construction, with the addition of a leather forehead strip, to the roof of the cap is a lining which seems to be made from a tan and water camo material , one metal eyelet to either side is fitted. The prelonged natural wear and soiling to the inside is a true indicator of the caps combat use, really nicly salty, beautiful! No post war looky liky, an original piece of SS combat gear.

I also think a spell check would have helped the seller avoid the 7 error's in his spelling!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X