Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blockade: Weird Thing????

Guys,
    This Blockade Breaker just sailed in. It's a decent example and the price was attractive. I needed one to nearly complete my KM badge collection. Only need an S-Boat now. When I find one, that'll complete the Navy war badges. I'd like to add a sub clasp, however I don't consider that a mandatory piece....more of a luxury.

Ok- so this extram metal catch thing on the badge is very strange. It looks like a piece of another badges' catch broke off and got lodged between the birds wing and the ship. It definitely is not welded or soldered on nor is it an integral art of the badge. The photos are about the best I could do to hi-lite this piece i'm referring to.

The badge itself is a decent condition Schwerin. The eagle still retains some of it's silver wash.

Before I go and yank this extra catch out, I want to be sure i'm not missing something. 2nd, 3rd, forth opinions desired. Prior to waxing her, I need to get her in shape. That involves removing traces of the zinc pest, dirt, and tertiary junk that's accululated on her. To illustrate this extra catch (after study and removal it's clear that this piece of metal is the catch off a different badge that broke off and becase stuck between the eagles wing and the eagles tail ) it required a larger number of photos to capture an image worthy of clearly illustrating the piece I am reffering to.

Prior to purchasing this badge, I spent quite a large sum of time comparing and contrasting this particular badge to known and accepted Schwerin zinc examples as well as comparing it to known zinc reproduction pieces. I am satisfied that my example is a legitimate, period example. Prior to purchase, I sought the help and advice of a knowledgeable KM badge collector. He gave it the thumbs up. In concert with the independant opinion as well as the comparison with many other Schwerin examples, I am totally satisfied in knowing this piece is original.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SwordFish; 08-22-2008, 10:40 AM. Reason: update

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

This photo is one of the better ones to really show this nutty thing.
                Attached Files

Comment

Uno mas.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Update:

It popped right out with a little pressure. All I can think is that the badge must have been in a pile with other badges, a box, some kind of mass storage. The piece is clearly a catch to another badge that somehow got lodged in there.

Here is a photo of the badged lightly cleaned up and preserved with museum grade wax. I use a VERY gentle concoction of sudsy followed up by a coat of Renwax.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by SwordFish; 08-21-2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I have heard stories of dealers just throwing all the badges they couldn't sell into a box loosely when packing up after a show. I think this may have happened here, and someone hastily pulled the stuck badges apart, breaking the catch off the one. Now you have a spare catch.
                      Cheers,
                      Brian

Comment

The whole schmear.

I'm not exactly clear on the history of this particular badge. I guy from Southern Cal was selling it for a lady,who's father I belive had all the badges. I also believe he was a ww2 vet. I can only surmise that he perhaps had a pile of badges in a box? That would explain that extra catch that had broken off another badge and became wedged in this badge? Don't know for sure.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by SwordFish; 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM. Reason: update & gramatical corrections

Comment

Yes, it is a strange badge.

1. Portholes, second row from the bottom--under a glass, are there 7 portholes?

Attached is an example of a period zinc example by this maker.

Let us know what you find out and what you think.

John
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by John R.; 08-21-2008, 09:58 PM.

Comment

another good reverse, so the spacing is not always close or far apart.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here is my zinker.
                              best wishes,
                              jeff
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Jeff V; 08-21-2008, 09:59 PM.
                              Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X