Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A plea from a novice, is cross the real thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A plea from a novice, is cross the real thing?

Dear All,
    As a collector of Luftwaffe flying headgear I consider myself reasonably knowledgable, but when it comes to 'the iron cross' I know nothing. I have been offered this piece as a part exchange in a deal for a genuine cased pair of Nietche & Gunther Anti Splinter Goggles.
    I would then subsequently be offering this cross to the open market.
    The goggles are valuable but I don't know the first thing about this.
    Can you help?
    The owner describes the cross as follows;
    "It is not made of iron and not metalic......is it does look like zinc over brass on the reverse. Someone suggested that it may have been a kriegsmarine IC.

It is stamped but it is in the loft at the moment and I cannot remember the lettering...it is something like L/77...you may be able to make it out on the pics."

I don't know what he means by "non-metallic"
    Attached Files

Reverse of cross/makers mark?

Reverse of the cross.
    Attached Files

Comment

FAKE!
      Let me expand, it is a one piece cross measuring just under 43mm. The date bears no resemblance to any known originals. The core has been painted and possibly the frame (if you can call it that on a one piece cross) which has then been wiped or sanded off in an attempt to make it look old. The reverse set up is also wrong.
      Last edited by Adrian; 05-21-2008, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Non magnetic and KM...

Hello,

I can comment on a couple points. By non magnetic he means the core is not made of iron and therefore will not stick to a magnet as iron core ones will. There was once a theory that brass core EK were awarded to KM members as they would stand up better to the elements. My understanding is that theory is no longer accepted as fact.

As to maker and authenticity, I will have another look and see if I can assist. I am sure others more experienced than I will as well.

There is no L/77 and you can review the other makers here...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/iron...ironcross1.htm

Regards,
        Stu

Comment

The kriegsmarine cross thing is a myth in my opinion, anybody who tells you that is full of b*llo*ks

Best Regards

James M

Comment

Either way this one is a poor example of a fake.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

Just take the goggles (and the cross only if it's free)... You may want to use this as a display cross where everyone has access(on a tunic, etc..) and wouldn't be out anything in the event it was stolen. But don't take it as any value in the trade!!

You could see how far it skips on the water the next time you go to the lake--just out of curiousity..

Comment

Fake!

Comment

the swastika is a bit thick and the "1939" is really thin....

Question, does the thickness of the swastika on real EK's vary? I have seen some on Emedals that have a thicker then normal swastika on them. Is it just differences in maker?

Comment

Originally posted by WhitePhnatom View Post
                    the swastika is a bit thick and the "1939" is really thin....

Question, does the thickness of the swastika on real EK's vary? I have seen some on Emedals that have a thicker then normal swastika on them. Is it just differences in maker?
                    There are some variations by maker but only by minute differences. Some swastikas are higher, some lower, some slightly thicker or thinner, some are different shapes in terms of the profile but all more or less the same.

Comment

My thanks to all

Dear All,
                      Many thanks for taking the time out to reply and educate. It is obvious on all counts that this item is a worthless piece of junk which I shan't be accepting as a PartX.
                      Looks like it's Ebay for the goggles which believe me, have never been to Eastern Europe unless it was 60 plus years ago.
                      Once again, my thanks to everyone

Comment

i have the very same cross my self and i belive its been seen by other memebers to!the very 1st thing that stands out is the date! i dont think there was ever any eks produced with such thin numbers!

Comment

the swastika doesnt seem very crisp doesnt it? and yes, the numbers seem too thin.

Comment

The numbers remind me of the non-magnetic 1914's style..(Just the numbers!)

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian View Post
                              There are some variations by maker but only by minute differences. Some swastikas are higher, some lower, some slightly thicker or thinner, some are different shapes in terms of the profile but all more or less the same.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

JR

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X