Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cased Imperial U-boat War badge by WALTER SCHOT

Hello All,

Please found below some photos of a Cased Imperial U-boat War badge by WALTER SCHOT, this one belongs to a friend and we'll be pleased to share any opinions about it as we have a little knowledge about Walter Schot productions...

What do you think about the middle placement of the pin, opinion about the case... period the badge was made..20's, 30's or post 1945 ????

Please click here to see more photos of this badge and case..

Many thanks in advance and do not hesitate to post your imperial U-boat badges..

Philippe
    www.majorplm.com

I have to say I don't like it. It looks like a Juncker made piece, but the question with Juncker, them having made plenty of restrike stuff in the 60s, is when it was made. Every original I have seen and been happy with (there are lots of fake Walter Schott pieces around), has had the pin in the upper part of the badge. Also the name stamping on originals always has the definite "double T with the left side upright missing" look. It also has several noticeable detail differences between it and genuine WS badges. There is subtle but noticeable differences in the shape of the various structures to the stern of the U-Boat, and also to the ribbon around the top half of the wreath.

Its not one I'd risk any serious money on.

This is a definite original. Notice the differences

Comment

Gordon's photos are always SO NICE!
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's the front of my example.
        Attached Files

Comment

Phillipe,

I'm in agreement with Gordon and Brian here. The one in my collection is like the examples posted by Gordon and Brian.

The details of the laurel wreath are just too defined and the ribbon curls incorrectly. On the reverse the the pin and the stamping are not good.

There is a point that wasn't mentioned that is very apparent between the examples shown if you look closely.

Tony
          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

The case looks to have some age, doesn't it? Any foam under the lining? I've seen one or two examples of this strike (with the heavier waves). They strike me as sand castings, due to the striations on both the front and back. The pins on these also bend very easily. Not that means anything.........

I'm not too worried about pin placement, but the hinge, pins, and catches on these variations look a little "stamped out". So........I guess my opinion is that it's a late (1940's), and should not be priced near as high as the earlier examples.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X