100% Repro / Fake SS Camouflage Items Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% Repro / Fake SS Camouflage Items Thread

During the years a number of reproduction ss camouflage items were posted on this forum on a regular basis attended with the question “is this real?”. In 80% the answer is “no, this is an item made by an US supplier for ww2 reenactors”.

This thread is supposed to show the majority of repro/fake ss camouflage items in order to help the novice collector in identifying them as such.

Most of the reproduced ss camouflage items were made by a company named “SM Wholesale”. This company is a supplier for reenactors and has no bad intentions just as most of the companies that provide the basic materials.

Nevertheless their items or custom made items based on their fabrics and patterns can frequently be found on ebay and on websites of various militaria dealers where they are being offered as “original ww2” items by careless or unscrupolous individuals.

1. The largest current makers of reproduction ss camouflage materials are:

1A. SM Wholesale (USA)
    1B. Janke (Germany)
    1C. At The Front (USA)
    1D. Gmax (Canada)

2. Some companies that I don’t know the exact locations or names of are:

2A..A company from southern Germany which makes a variety of smocks, tank crew clothing, jump smocks and dot items.
    2B.A source or two probably from the baltic area which provide two different dot patterns.

Furthermore there is a number of items that were made in “limited numbers” or that were discountinued:

2C.The so called “Irish Smock” (“platane” and oak)
    2D.The so called “Pink Smock” (oak A, which some collectors believe to be ok!!)
    2E.The “Bud O’Toole line” (several ss patterns)
    2F..The so called “Hanger” camo (oak A)

3. Also various patterns of postwar armies were used by some individuals to produce reproductions:

3A.Swiss army pattern (looks similar to the Leiber pattern)
    3B.Austrian army pattern (has similtries with the dot pattern)
    3C.Egyptian army pattern (has similtries with the oak pattern, on the reverse it shows a wehrmacht like pattern)
    3D.A pattern from southern africa (has similtries with the palm pattern)
    3E.A recent russian pattern (has similtries with the oak pattern)

Due to the high number of reproductions there are for sure some I have forgotten and those that I don’t even know about. If you have something to add please PM me and I will edit the text accordingly.

I would now like to invite the members to share their reproduction ss camouflage items.

In order to not let the thread become too chaotic it will be best to use the number and letter code that I have used above. If you have a SM Wholesale item to post please mark it "1A", a swiss army pattern item would be 3A and so on. This should make it easier for the observer to identify them.

I would also suggest not to mention the significant details of period items, let’s focus on the basic dead giveaways of the majority of reproductions out there. This thread is not meant to teach the fakers.

Attention: If you want to post images please use this thread only for items that consist of postwar materials. Please post your images on this site and don't use a external picture hosting site.

There will be another thread for fakes made of period material.

For all of you that plan to collect authentic SS Camouflage I recommend these books:

"Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen-SS" by Mike Beaver
    ISBN: 0-88740-803-6

"Uniforms of the Waffen-SS, Vol 3" by Mike Beaver
    ISBN: 0-7643-1552-8

These are the best books available on the topic at this stage.

Cheers

Fritz
    Last edited by Fritz; 07-24-2008, 04:26 AM.

2a (?)

This piece dates from the early 90's.It came with the correct trousers and was
    also available in the M44 pattern. Usually dolled up & artifically aged.

SM Wholesale would also do "custom" work for a price.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    Cheers Steve
    Attached Files

Comment

These fakes fooled a lot of collectors. Front and back are made of different material/print to mislead you. Buttons are usualy rusted.
      Attached Files

Comment

The print (pattern - size and colors) on this side looks pretty much identical to original. Always make me think that if made completely solely of this type material, could easily pass any judgement.
        Attached Files

Comment

I had this one at one time. it had what appeared to me to be fake SS-BW stamps, had wear and grease stains by the wrists to give the effect it had been loading gun breeches, and was heavilly faded and washed out, it has grey buttons. At a later point it had fake panzer boards. Eagle was fake and as Glen describes. There is a hole where an award has been pushed through the material. Its a janke IMO. All bad. Went through N&T and was selling at 2100 USD in 2000 period, it had sat for quite a while when I saw it as a novice. There were also a pair of very large dot m44 pants which appeared the same condition for sale seperate. At the time it was stated to me that these uniforms came from their "suppliers" in France. I cannot remember did it make direct reference to HSC but i think it did.

best,

Pete

Hello Pete,

If I remember correct it had reverse zig zag collar stitching,a bad SS-BW stamp and looked like it had been put through a washing machine several times to some how make it look worn.

With regards,

Glenn
          <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SJP View Post
              This piece dates from the early 90's.It came with the correct trousers and was
              also available in the M44 pattern. Usually dolled up & artifically aged.

SM Wholesale would also do "custom" work for a price.
              __________________________________________________ ____________
              Cheers Steve

Actually, this type dates from at least the mid 1980s and probably a few years before that. I saw these offered in 1984 for sure and a couple of big dealers were selling the sets at the first MAX show in the fall of 1985. The ones back then generally had small ink stampings to include a RBnr, the surface distressed gray plastic large placket buttons, rusted metal small buttons (but not rusted steel collar hooks!, and often came with tropical hand seen bevo eagles..... Most that I saw were in a very small size and were sewn with a fairly lightweight gray and tan (bobbin) thread.

Comment

here for you Fritz a pink smock
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, Arek and thank you all for posting the first pictures and infos in this thread. I would like to grab the chance and make clear once again that quite a few collectors like these "pink" smocks as posted by member besslein. To me these are postwar made and there have been several debates about these. Also on this forum you will find some detailed threads that list up the collector's different opinions on these.

If anybody has questions or new facts about this type of smock I would suggest to use the thread in the link:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=pink+smock

Cheers

Fritz
                          Last edited by Fritz; 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Czech post war Leibermuster pattern
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Gary Wood; 06-10-2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

ref post 15 Czech
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X