Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Nice photo

Rob

Comment

Very interesting - thanks for posting.

Comment

If memory serves, a blank right side (SD) tab with a metal TK on it was posted a good while back. Both were original as I recall, but the owner was advised that the TK would never have been on that tab originally and was likely put there by the vet who captured both items. I believe he removed the TK from the tab.

Chances are that the TK was not originally worn on that tab, but this photo certainly raises that possibility.

Very interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by bwanek1 View Post
            If memory serves, a blank right side (SD) tab with a metal TK on it was posted a good while back. Both were original as I recall, but the owner was advised that the TK would never have been on that tab originally and was likely put there by the vet who captured both items. I believe he removed the TK from the tab.

Chances are that the TK was not originally worn on that tab, but this photo certainly raises that possibility.

Very interesting!
            I remember this tab,and yes he have removed the skull and sold on e-stand
            pity ,now we can see that it was worn in this way

Comment

I know where there is an original blank tab with a metal skull, placed vertically, on the tab. It was a vet purchase, used and worn, and completely original, but of no more value than a damaged blank tab and the skull. Being so easy to do, anyone could fake such a collar tab.

Bob Hritz
              In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

To your point

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                I know where there is an original blank tab with a metal skull, placed vertically, on the tab. It was a vet purchase, used and worn, and completely original, but of no more value than a damaged blank tab and the skull. Being so easy to do, anyone could fake such a collar tab.

Bob Hritz
                Hi Bob,
                For sure anyone could fake a tab like that, but a good TK on a hat would certainly be the better option..for financial gain. Also, I would think that a TK that was always on a tab coming from the period would develop a certain unmistakable original appearance....like it's always been there. I will post such an example.
                Peter

Comment

Looks like the metal TK has been put over something else rather than a blank tab as in the second photo you can see something sticking out maybe!

Re the tab posted on the forum with the metal tk was not this on a rank tab?

Comment

Something sticking out

Yes, quite possible. The skull could have been placed over runics.
                    Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wood View Post
                      Re the tab posted on the forum with the metal tk was not this on a rank tab?
                      Come to think of it, Gary, I believe you are right. The chances that any right-side blank tab found today with a metal TK attached was actually wartime assembled/worn has to be considered exceedingly remote. However, if that other tab was, in fact, a left-side tab, the chance of it having been originally worn that way is so remote (considering both the fact that it was non-regulation to have a metal TK on a collar tab and the short period during which dual TK tabs were worn) as to reasonably be considered zero for practical purposes.

Comment

In the 70's I bought a matched pair of Heer wrapper panzer tabs out of the woods.
                        Each tab had 2 matched and centered Heer skulls. (total 4)

I sold them to a guy named Ray Wood in Dallas who immediately removed the 4 and placed a single skull on each tab so they would be 'correct'.

When he did a couple of insect eggs fell out from behind one of the skulls.

I guess if they showed up today no one would believe them.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X