Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knight cross winner with 4 TDB

Hi there,

is there anybody, who can name this KC winner ?

In the back is this a russian tank ?

Regards

Uwe
    Attached Files

Uwe

I saw a copy/print of this same photograph offered on ebay.de a short time ago and was hoping myself also, that someone might be able to positively identify this soldier.

Regards Richard.
    Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Originally posted by uwemue View Post
      Hi there,

is there anybody, who can name this KC winner ?

In the back is this a russian tank ?

Regards

Uwe
      Thats Robert Rahlenbeck, his mother was the neighbor of my grandma. So I knew him.

The T34 in the background is not a victim, but the "tool" that makes him win the knightscross: it was integrated in the german frontline, and he was the gunner. In front of the tank they posted a sign "Hier wohnen 3 Landser, die beschiessen den Russen mit dem eigenen Panzer" (Here live 3 Landser, who shot at the russians with their own Panzer). He maganed to destroy 18 T34s on one day.

Comment

What happen to him? Did he survive the war?

Regards

Edgar

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
          Thats Robert Rahlenbeck, his mother was the neighbor of my grandma. So I knew him.
          Of course - I am not that old...

Comment

Damn, I was bidding on those photo's too. Glad to see they went to a good home.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

The T34 in the background is not a victim, but the "tool" that makes him win the knightscross: it was integrated in the german frontline, and he was the gunner. In front of the tank they posted a sign "Hier wohnen 3 Landser, die beschiessen den Russen mit dem eigenen Panzer" (Here live 3 Landser, who shot at the russians with their own Panzer). He maganed to destroy 18 T34s on one day.

Small world!

Great story there, "Gran" - thanks for sharing that with us

Nice photo, too!
              Rob

Comment

For sure the world is a village. I bought that pic on ebay.de for less than 10 €, the seller comes from Berlin too. Great story, thanks "Gran" for your help. Do you know something about the awards of Robert Rahlenbeck ?

Regards

Uwe

Comment

Originally posted by uwemue View Post
                  Do you know something about the awards of Robert Rahlenbeck?
                  Sure - I always told my grandma to ask for his items. She told me he was never proud of his RK, not even when he arrived by train in his hometown, and all the officials of the town were there. My grandma was present as BDM-girl. As the years gone by he felt sorry for what he has done (killed other humans) to win the RK, thats the explanation, too, why you would never find a signed foto or so of him.

She also told me he has sold all his medals some years before I begged her to ask him. Well, when talking to him a few years later, I learned he has sold everything AFTER I asked my grandma, for 2.000,-DM...

All I got is one signed foto, and another unsigned one.

Comment

Patrick,

Very interesting story Patrick..too bad you missed it all.

The same image was on Ebay.de from a seller in Celle, Germany that ended Nov 23. I was outbid at the last moment...it went for 20.49 Euros..how many more images are out there? Bill

Comment

the story behind the man on the front cover of this newspaper is similar in that he shot up a T34 tank, got the crew out of it with his pistol, climbed into the tank and stopped a soviet advance with it...Cheers, Torsten.
                      Attached Files

Comment

According to Rahlenbeck himself it is not him on the photo.

Daniel

Comment

Daniel,
                          Apparently the guy in the photo is Pius Butz.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Sure agrees with what Veit Scherzer had of Butz.

Cheers
                            Elwyn

Comment

Big Feat Indeed!

Gentlemen,

I wonder if there are similar stories of a German soldier capturing a enemy tank,shot the crew of it and used the tank against it former army? The feat by Robert Rahlenbeck was truly amazing!

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X