Nice early Schwerin U-Boat badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice early Schwerin U-Boat badge

I owned this badge for 30 years. I sold it to a friend some 15 years ago and was just able to get it back today.

I thought some of you would like to see an early unmarked Schwerin U-Boat badge. Too bad the photos don't show what is left of the firegilding that remains on it's face.

Talk about alot of presence. This one has definately been there! If only it could talk.

When I sold it to my friend I also sold him a color picture of a KM Officer in a conning tower that was printed on wall paper (very late ware print). Hopefully I will get that back sometime soon as well.

Regards,

Chuck
    Last edited by vonStubben; 07-25-2008, 09:17 PM.

reverse
    Last edited by vonStubben; 07-25-2008, 09:17 PM.

Comment

She be a nice 'un. Is there a crack in the one wing?

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
        It is a die flaw or there was something in the die when it was struck.

Chuck

Comment

Quite nice. In the timeline, I would put this as the fourth of four basic tombak patterns before introduction of the zinc versions, say in 1943 roughly speaking.

However, there is not certainty right now where the unmarked version actually fit in to the tombak line. The two wire catches were most probably first, then the flat catch marked and unmarked next.

Yes, yours has a lot of character, I like it a lot. Note the wear spots on the back--it is my opinion that these marks are made by finger oils when putting the badge on and off a uniform as I see this effect on many badges, tombak and zinc.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post

Note the wear spots on the back--it is my opinion that these marks are made by finger oils when putting the badge on and off a uniform as I see this effect on many badges, tombak and zinc.

John
            Very interesting observation John.Thanks.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

U-boat badge

Hi Darrell,
              This crack on the wing is a die flaw and is evident on many original examples.

Here is the reverse of my badge, and you can see the same flaw.

Regards,
              Jody
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                Quite nice. In the timeline, I would put this as the fourth of four basic tombak patterns before introduction of the zinc versions, say in 1943 roughly speaking.

However, there is not certainty right now where the unmarked version actually fit in to the tombak line. The two wire catches were most probably first, then the flat catch marked and unmarked next.

John
                Agree with John, later tombak type prior to introduction of the zinc.
                Regards, Rob
                Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Originally posted by Jody Beltram View Post
                  Hi Darrell,

Regards,
                  Jody

Good info

Comment

Good info

Agreed, thanks!

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Jody Beltram View Post
                      Hi Darrell,

Regards,
                      Jody

This die flaw probably occured from striking such a hard metal. What do you think?

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
                        This die flaw probably occured from striking such a hard metal. What do you think?

Chuck
                        Looks to be quite severe as it affected both sides of the die as it can be seen on the Obverse as well ....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks to be quite severe as it affected both sides of the die as it can be seen on the Obverse as well ....
                          The photographs of this badge were taken in natural sunlight. Although it may look as though the "crack" can be seen on the front it is actually some type of illusion as in reality it is not there. Not even under a loupe using 10x magnification and inspected at every angle can anything be seen but a normal surface.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
                            The photographs of this badge were taken in natural sunlight. Although it may look as though the "crack" can be seen on the front it is actually some type of illusion as in reality it is not there. Not even under a loupe using 10x magnification and inspected at every angle can anything be seen but a normal surface.

Chuck
                            Chuck, I'm not saying the badge is cracked, but the die itself which would have left a noticeable fingerprint on the items it created. Much like the S&L RK die flaws.

Comment

Schwerin U-boat

Hello,
                              You can see the die damage on some U-boat awards (but not all of them). Here is the obverse of my example and it is not present.

Regards,
                              Jody
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X