Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converted EK2

Hello everybody
    This pic is posted for my friend Dick. I will let him to ask for you opinions and to give more details about this possible converted EK2.
    Regards
    Denis

Thank you Denis your help is much appreciated!

Gentlemen,
    I ask your opinions on this converted EK 2. I purchased it from a local antique shop. The owner told me she bought it at a local estate sale along with some other items. It came with a short length of EK 2 ribbon that had been worn with it. The ribbon showed signs of being sewn in on one end and had a small hook on the other end. The ribbon showed MUCH use. Purchase price was $75.00. Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Regards,
    Dick

Comment

I think that....

Regardless of the true story behind this EK (which you will most probably never know), you got a good deal on it!
      George

Comment

Thanks George,
        I didn't think I could pass it up. I had hopes that some of the members might have seen one or more re-done in this manner. I have seen several pictures of soldiers wearing EK 2's that just had the Knights Cross ribbon run thru the normal 2nd class suspension. Thanks for your kind reply.
        Regards,
        Dick

Comment

Hi C. Evans,
          Thanks for the kind words. They are much appreciated. I'm rather proud of the beat up old thing!
          Regards,
          Dick

Comment

Respectfully submitted but there seems to be a 'toning' difference in the cross frame and the added rings....these sort of things are so hard to pinpoint so I tend to look awfully hard at them and in this case it appears that 2 + 2 = 3.....the wear just isn't the same or even similar!
            John
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Hi John,
              Good point. However I think the ring and loop are made from silver wire. When you see the thing in person the ring, loop and frame of the cross seem to be as bright and match. Maybe the scanner "sees" the parts differently. If you look closely at the silver parts there is some wear and tear. I really don't mean to defend it but I guess I am. Your input is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you.
              Regards,
              Dick

Comment

Hi Dick
                Is there any possibility to see the reverse, the ribbon, and some close ups (the edge, the frame, and the ring with its attachment to the cross) ?
                If so, send them to me to my usual address, I will repost there.
                Thanks
                Denis

Comment

Hi Denis,
                  This is the only scan I have of the cross. I don't have a camera capable of taking the shots you ask for. I got the above photo by using the scanner at my wife's office. I have got to buy a digital camera. The best I can do is describe any details you might need.
                  Sorry!
                  Regards,
                  Dick

Comment

Neat piece Dick. Here is mine. Part of a grouping of medals and pics to Walter Sumpf, an NCO bomber pilot who won the RK very late in the war w/ KG100. His photo album is part of the group, and it has some neat pics including a portrait of him wearing his converted EK2 as an RK. If you look closely at the portrait, you can see that it, and the other medals on his tunic , are the very ones in the group. The group has two converted EKs...both done in the same way. Defintely not done by a jeweller! The ribbon is an EK2 ribbon that once had some kind of fastener stitched to it. There is something else very "wrong" with Sumpf's uniform in his portrait . One would think he was dressed up for the portrait, but the same transgression is visible in other pics of him.
                    Last edited by Luftm40; 05-13-2003, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

This is the "RK" in the portrait. Note the paint scraped from the swastika
                          Attached Files

Comment

The second one in better condition and with the neck band
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy
                              Does Sumpf bear both Pilot and P/O badges ?
                              Thanks for sharing
                              Denis

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X