"Alteste Berliner"--A Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Alteste Berliner"--A Primer

Well, we have a thread on Jankes, so why not the original high-end fake, the one that started it all--the legendary Alteste.
    Bob Hritz just gave us all a bit of background on these. They were made in Germany in the 50s and 60s by a company called Studio Breuer, and were manufactured without the (offending) insignia. They are now 40-50 years old, and have some degree of age to them, so they are dangerous, as they have a very good shape. According to Bob, Herr Breuer bought out the stock of the legendary August Muller firm, and IMHO, he used wartime hatmakers, given the level of skill with which these babies were put together.

They will fool the beginning collector, unless you know what to look for (and believe me, they sit in advanced collections all over the world, and are still being sold as originals by advanced dealers).

However, they all have many of the same "tells" that give them away.

The first is the sweatdiamond, which is made out of PLASTIC, not celluloid. They read as follows: "Alteste Berliner Uniform-Mutzenfabrik
    Berlin S.W. Wilhelmstrasse 110"

The lining is almost always a grey cotton, although there are rare exceptions:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Here is the exterior of the above cap--note the standard twill body which is common to 95% of these hats (but I have seen them in doeskin):
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Under the hood shot--
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is how you most commonly see them today--with the sd removed:
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

A lot of these are hats NTZ found, so I want to give him credit--here is an A-SS Generals--twill body:
          Attached Files
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

A-SS (standard interior):
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

On the piped hats, the piping always appears brighter than wartime--probably due to artificial brighteners:
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Note piping and wool:
                Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Another under the hood shot--note that the pasteboard IS treated, and the metal stiffener:
                  Attached Files
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This signals is currently on the site of an advanced dealer:
                    Attached Files
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

While the shape and wool is in keeping with the others, the lining and sweatshield are uncommon variants:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I'll try and keep this thread going as I see additional Altestes. If you have any to post and/or commentary, please do so.
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Great thread Chris, keeping it going

Comment

Thanks - I almost got taken.

I want to thank stonemint, NTZ, and all others who posted info and pics on the Alteste fakes. I had sent a down payment on a Alteste visor to a "major dealer" & while the check was in the mail saw the Alteste threads here. I promptly called the dealer, cancelled the order, and just to make doubly sure, stopped payment on the check. Without WAF, I would probably be stuck with this "dog"..

Comment

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
                              I want to thank stonemint, NTZ, and all others who posted info and pics on the Alteste fakes. I had sent a down payment on a Alteste visor to a "major dealer" & while the check was in the mail saw the Alteste threads here. I promptly called the dealer, cancelled the order, and just to make doubly sure, stopped payment on the check. Without WAF, I would probably be stuck with this "dog"..
                              All the work Dave Kane, Stonemint, myself and many, many others put in has just paid off. I am glad to hear that story! I know the visors you almost bought by the way.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X