Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

feldflasche/canteen: tropical,DAK,late war or...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feldflasche/canteen: tropical,DAK,late war or...?

I never found a canteen like this one before. Maybe its just my lack of knowledge,but anybody could tell me about it?
    thanks

Hello,
    this is a nice german WWII canteen with web strap and odd cup, maybe a good one green repainted (or postwar). Would be much nicer with a bakelite cup...
    it could have been used in Africa, Ostfront, Italy, Balkans, Westfront in 1944, in fact everywhere a german soldier did go from 1942 to 1945
    Last edited by JPhilip; 05-11-2007, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Hello JPhilip, what about the canvas strap? I do have other german canteens but this is the first time i see one like this.
      THanks

Comment

Hello
        The web strap could be a replacement.
        All the mint canteen I have seen with web straps ,also had the web little thingy ( I can't remember there name ).
        What most collector don't realize ,is that a lot of canteen have been messed with parts replaced ,etc...
        I buy them and collect them only mint ,unaltered ,the same way thet left the factory ,. Mind I also like the worn type too ( but they have to be untouched)
        Still a nice canteen. ,and like JPHILIP as mentioned ,is the cup maker marked ?
        Best Regards
        Pierre-Yves

Comment

the canteen is not yet in my hands.
          Here are some other photos,though

Comment

i made a little search and i found another one which looks like the twin of the one i posted before

Comment

basenordest - did you ever seen in the past any of tropical canteens ??? I asking cause from your post it appears that you never knew anything about existance of canteens with webed straps . if I'm right in my speculations then you need to learn a lot. All 2 types all tropical use ( and other fronts too ) canteens and that kind of canteen were produced from 1941 to the end of war. First one you posted is mountain troops ( 1L) canteen with webed strap and second one is typical tropical canteen ( 0,8 L).
              Last edited by 19BARBAROSSA41; 05-11-2007, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Canteens

I like to see the aluminum bottle and cup match. The other components do not need to bare the same maker as the metal components to be "unmessed with" or "factory original" in my opinion.

Component sourcing has been part of manufacturing since... well, the dawn of mass production. Canteen covers and straps can just as often carry the mark of thier original souce manufacturer, not the factory that actually completed the final product. A minty canteen carrying more than one maker across dissimilar components is just as "correct" in my opinioin as one with all components marked for a single maker.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley's Dad View Post
                  I like to see the aluminum bottle and cup match. The other components do not need to bare the same maker as the metal components to be "unmessed with" or "factory original" in my opinion.

Component sourcing has been part of manufacturing since... well, the dawn of mass production. Canteen covers and straps can just as often carry the mark of thier original souce manufacturer, not the factory that actually completed the final product. A minty canteen carrying more than one maker across dissimilar components is just as "correct" in my opinioin as one with all components marked for a single maker.
                  Hello
                  Maybe so but all the mint canteen I own ,owned or handled , were all matching ,except the late war ones ,which did have a minimum of markings.
                  Some parts were contracted outside ,like the wool cover on post #5 ( you can see the original maker marks) and "JSD" would then apply there stamp.
                  For me a canteen has to be matching ,but that is just me.
                  Best Regards
                  Pierre-Yves

Comment

Barbarossa,you are right, I have to learn alot. We never stop learning and that is good
                    I got dozens of canteens found here, for mountain troops, with bakelite,aluminium or steel becher, with good/poor quality leather straps, but this is the first time i find a becher like that and a mountain troops canteen with tropical straps. As I stated in my original post, maybe its just my ignorance
                    I thought that DAK troops used this type of canteen in bakelite

Comment

this type of canteen which very often called "coconut" were NEVER in use in North Afrika !! I haven't seen any of this canteens on period made photos from North Africa. This type of canteen were used in Italy, Greece , in Russia or in Western Europe but NEVER in North Africa. there many photos showing that in North Africa were used normal canteens , the same models as in Europe ( specialy on begining of African campagne ) and letter canteens with webed straps. I don't know who started calling coconut canteens as DAK canteen but he was definately wrong cause there is no proof that they were used in North Africa.

Comment

could you post some wartime photos of the first canteen ?
                        thanks

Comment

Ciao Matteo,
                          the 1st canteen you posted is absoluthly 100% unmanipulated and without any replacement. There was both models: with leather and with web straps sewed on the cloth. It's the only model that the Germans brought in Afrika. infact the Kokosnus model wasn't the standard Afrikakorps canteen; this is just a legend.
                          Alex

Comment

some more pictures of my new canteen. Cup is unmarked though.

It looks like a gebirgsjäger canteen, it's bigger than standard bottles.

Comment

Hi Matteo,
                              the alu cup is post war.
                              Ciao,
                              Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X