Help with signature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with signature?

I normally help people out with signatures but this time I need help myself and require confirmation or opinions on the signature below!

It is of a Hauptmann und Kommandeur i.V. (representative) dated 2.5.1943 and taken from a Flugbuch of a Stuka pilot who served with III/Stuka 1.
    15.2.43-11.9.43 he was detached to Versuchkommando für Panzerbekämpfung in Rechlin (detachment of experts to trial a new Stuka equipped with the Panzerknacker!!!).

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Ian
    Attached Files
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Looks like "Rudel" to me, with a big back flourish from the "l" to make the little over the "u" squiggle kind of Lost In Space.

Comment

Hi Rick,
      Thats what I think but all signed photos I have seen of him are slightly different! (Not seen many though!). He does normally have an accent of the "u" and the "l" does not have the extra loop!!!!!

However Rudel was a well known member of this unit but I can not find exact dates.......

I have had this Flugbuch for many years and never saw it as Rudel until last night when I was reading his biography in Obermaier's book on Stuka RKT.

Anyone with a wartime signature that is the same?
      Or anyone got his book, which might give dates?

Ta, Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Hello Ian

I think Rudel was a member of St.G. 2 "Immelmann" in February 43?

I haven't got much on St.G. 1 ... is it worth methodically going through Obermaier Vol II and looking for a Hauptmann who might fit the bill? I'll 'go you halves' if you like ... start at letter "N" ... let me know if this would be useful (albeit a longshot!).

Regards
        Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,
          Rudel was a member of St.G. 2, however he was detached to the Panzerbekämpfung, however Obermaier mentiones that used the "Kanonenmaschine" or the famous Ju 87 with mounted 3.7.cm cannons.

The signature does very much look like Rudel's in parts, however can not identify if it is 100%.

The attached photo is from "Das waren die deutschen Stuka-Asse", by Georg Brütting.....see the similarity in the signature!

Also this book mentioned that he was detached February 1943 to Sonderkommando under Hptm. Stepp then to Panzersuchskommando Ju 87 with 3.7 cm Flak cannon. Also 1.4.1943 he was promoted to Hauptmann.

The Panzerjäger Staffeln were not formed until summer 1943 and presume this was when the men returned to their respective units......more to follow when I get the chance!!!

/Ian
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ian Jewison; 03-23-2003, 04:32 AM.

Comment

A little more from "Junkers Ju 87 Stuka" by Manfred Griehl:

"The first sample airplane Ju 87 D-1 was tested by Hauptmann Hans-Karl Stepp on 31,1,1943, first in Rechlin and then at the beginning of 1943, on the troop exercise area by Briansk.

The Ju 87-G with heavy cannon armament had up to then not particularly gone into action, although the general suitability of the Ju-87 was already certain as a tank hunter. This was to be owed to that except Hans-Ulrich Rudel above all Hans-Karl Stepp, in June 1943 returned again to the St.G. 2 . "

So I think we have 100 % identity!?!?!?

Taken from the Flugbuch:
            Interestingly some of the flights were from Briansk April 1943 and the entry "Schiff im Hafen von Satky" is his first "Feindflug" with the Kanon!!!!

/Ian

Comment

Thanks Ian ...

Wow!!!

Paul

PS: I have at some point downloaded a couple of docs with Rudels's sig ...I'll find these for you asap.

Comment

I just "read" scribbles, I don't "authenticate" autographs, but to me, the way he links the d and e is quite peculiar and unique (as classically written the final stroke out from the d would be at mid-letter, not top), and the other differences are, to me anyway, the difference between carefully making an "autograph" and scribbling a routine log entry.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X