Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Naval Officers Gas Mask and Case

Aloha,
    Just wanted to share with you all my Japanese Naval Officers Gas Mask and Case with matching serial number. This one came directly from a Marine Vet who took it out of Admiral Ota's HQ cave on Oroku, Okinawa along with a Mint Japanese Painted Anchor Helmet. Enjoy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ryukyutunnelrat; 03-16-2007, 05:47 PM.

another view. Does anyone know what the piece of wood attached to the canister was used for?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ryukyutunnelrat; 03-16-2007, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Equiped with a Large Speech Diaphram and the exhale valve off to the side
      Attached Files

Comment

Accessories that were inside the bag
        Attached Files

Comment

Accessories inside the bag
          Attached Files

Comment

Tag on case with number that matches the number on the carry bag
            Attached Files

Comment

WOW , what a beautiful and intact set! Wish I could help you with the wood question.

Comment

David, I've seen this variation before. Never heard it refered to as an officers model. I've heard of one early example in the suit case as well as one in a later carry bag. They have been called a fire fighting model as well. Great overall grouping!

Comment

Very nice and complete Type 97 [i.e., 1937] Mark 1 Model 2 Navy "shipboard" gas mask.

I believe when the Navy went to the Model 3 (and Model 4) gas mask(s) the blue colored storage container, harness, and face piece carrying bag were dropped in favor of single canvas carrying bag that stored the entire gas mask (i.e., the Model 3 and Model 4 gas masks) including the accessories.

Comment

Everytime I look at this set it just keeps looking that much better!
                    Very nice!
                    Scott

Comment

Thanks Eric for the translation and all for the great comments. Still trying to figure out why there is a stick attached to the canister? David.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X