SS crusher cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS crusher cap

Was wondering what anyone can tell me about this cap as far as originality, value, age, etc. Anything would help. Thanks.

http://rbernabe.photosite.com/Album1/

I would not touch it. The visor is the type commonly found in 1960’s fakes. The lining looks original but even from these limited photos looks to have been added to the cap. The lining sits in the cap in a funny position with the pleats stretched forward. The pleats themselves are not sitting right in the cap. IMO what you have is a 1960’s fake with an added period lining.

Comment

Welcome to the site . Take NTZ's advice

Comment

Yhanks for the quick responces! here are a few more close ups. I dont know exactly what you are looking for, but i hope these will help.
        Check out album 2.

http://rbernabe.photosite.com/

Comment

Sorry, its a reproduction as Nick (NTZ) has described.

Comment

Indeed a reproduction AND made specifically to defraud!!! They are getting better and paying much more attention to detail and manufacturing technique.

The fakers will not however be able to re-create the (certain) materials and components of the period caps. As with this one all they will do is 'mimic' the look!
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by rdb892 View Post
              Yhanks for the quick responces! here are a few more close ups. I dont know exactly what you are looking for, but i hope these will help.
              Check out album 2.

http://rbernabe.photosite.com/
              That nice bit of rubbing above the eagle is another deceiver trick, done to make some think it has had legitimate wear.

I can't understand why after having the initial responses why you added your second post. The lads had already killed this turkey on the first.

Steer clear of this slap dash haberdash

Comment

The new pics confirmed my original assessment.

Comment

It also has a fake "mustache" skull and what appears to be a fake pigeon head eagle as well.

Comment

I talked to the dealer i purchased the hat from and he told me he has had the hat authenticated by two auction houses and has the paper work for me. Im going to pick it up next week and I'll post it for everyone. Are you certain the hat is a repro? Im absolutely certain the skull and eagle arent as that is something I know a bit about.

Comment

I'm really not educated at all on headgear...but even I'm not sure of that skull. It could just be the angle.

Honestly though...the lining does look nice, maybe even original. Still, when you have NTZ and Papa Kane chiming in against a cap it carries some weight with it.

Maybe send it to Bill Shea if you're that confident.
                      Or send some quality photos to Gary Wilkins.

Good luck,
                      ZaCK

Comment

I think the name of the dealer and the auction houses that authenticated it could be just as telling as the visor itself. The advice to send it to Shea is sound. Wilkins works with Shea also. I am certain what their assessment will be but it carries more weight than any of ours on the forum. Gerard from Relic Hunters also knows his caps pretty well.

Comment

For what it's worth, I wouldn't touch this cap either.

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Im not trying to argue, its just when you pay good money for something like his you dont want to believe its a repro.

Comment

Ultimitly it's your decision to keep the cap or not. I hear no positives about this cap so far, so that's just something to think about. I'm sure you spent a lot of money, and If I were to spend that kind of money I would want to have no doubts about what I'm buying. Not sure how much trust I would put in a auction house. And the letter you will receive really doesn't mean a lot either. The final decision is on you now. Please take everyones opinions to heart because no one wants to see you loss out on a bunch of money on a fake.

My 2 cents

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X