Police eagle or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police eagle or something else?

I just picked this up. Is this a Police eagle? I believe it is because of the green color. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

IMHO it would have to be a very early one, as the eagle is facing the wrong way for WWII......

Cool eagle, as I have never seen one like this. What is the history on it?

Comment

I don't know the story behind the eagle. I got it in Germany and it seems it comes from a photo album. That's all I know for now.

Comment

I think it is cool that you get the opportunity to travel to Germany to get this type of item! congrats!

Comment

Hello,

Although some early Landespolizei did infact wear a breast eagle similar to that shown, I am unaware of any eagle of this type specifically produced for use by the police. It has always been my assumption that they used early army eagles for their uniforms.

This eagle does indeed appear to be an early machine embroidered example. The green background could have been intended for almost anything. It does not appear to be inconsistant with early army use at all. I don't think that there was much standardization in the early 30's when this stuff started being turned out.

Regards,
            W.Unland

Comment

Eagle

Greetings All,

I really like this eagle. It looks like a nice early machine embroidered private purchase piece. I think it is a Heer eagle. I have that resemble it somewhat but the background material looks the same.

Fred Green

Comment

Facing the wrong way?

Off the top of my head I can't think of any other cloth item eagle, besides the police patches, that faces the other way, do you have some examples?

Al

Originally posted by Fire61 View Post
                IMHO it would have to be a very early one, as the eagle is facing the wrong way for WWII......

Cool eagle, as I have never seen one like this. What is the history on it?
                Last edited by Al P; 12-09-2006, 08:24 PM. Reason: poor spelling strikes again!!

Comment

Hello,

Early army eagles, belt buckles, etc had eagles facing the "wrong way". I don't collect anything other than police so I don't really have any examples to show, but I have seen them. Of course political groups had eagles facing the "wrong way". I still think the early years almost anything goes was the rule.

Regards,
                  Bill Unland

Comment

....slowly creeps backwards towards the exit door........

I am a newbie and no offense on the "wrong way" remark. Maybe I got wrong info on later model embroidered fire/police eagles. I am just here to learn.......

Comment

Hello,

No insult to you intended. I just quote "wrong way" to denote facing to the right rather than left. It's easier that way, no comment on your use of the term at all.

Best regards,
                      Bill U

Comment

Don't take offence as none was offered or intended.

I thought it was an interesting question, as I had not really thought about the various differences in the way the eagle was facing.

There seems to be no reason or pattern to which way the head faces across the entire TR spectrum.

Al

Comment

Thanks for the notes guys and no offense taken. I was kind of worried I had maybe overstepped my knowledge boundaries. Not a problem, as I learn new things each and every day.

I would appreciate your opinions on something I have noticed, but may be incorrect. For Police and Fire and maybe other "civil servant" branches during WWII, the eagle is looking to his right. For military branches during WWII, the eagle is looking to his left. I have noticed this on embroidered items, as well as stick pins, hat badges, and awards.

I agree with you Al, in regards to no rhyme or reason on pre-WWII, but TR eagles, as it seems that early police/fire eagles are facing to their left. Early versions also seem cruder in their embroidery quality.

Love to hear your feedback, hope you have your Christmas shopping done! (Doing mine in the WAF e-stands!)

Regards,

Carson

Comment

Customs eagles also look right (their right) on the cuff title as well as the hat eagle, so their might be something to the non military thing.

Political eagles look left and they are non military and same with the SS, not sure how one to classify them being armed / political. West wall medal eagles also face right as do the eagles on the olympic awards.

For awards, most heer stuff has the eagle looking left, the close combat clasp eagle looks right as does the Narvik and Demnjansk shields.

All kriegsmarine eagles on awards look right, even the destroyer and coastal artillery which use a more heer style eagle than the rest. The KM breast eagles look left as in all branches of the wehrmacht.

The luftwaffe awards eagles also look to the right, but their helmet eagles go left.

Argggg, I wonder if there were regulations about this, anyone?

Al

Comment

Neat info Al. I was unaware of this and appreciate it.

Now.... is there any significance on wings being up or folded, or the number of feathers on the eagles wings?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X