Modern Production of 1957 Decorations Reference Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Production of 1957 Decorations Reference Thread

This is a reference thread for pieces that does not fit with the early 1957 to 1970 production.

This set is of a modern production and is nothing like how they once looked. It is printed with Juncker on the grey cardbox. These sets can been found with L/12 markings on the cross, loop and leaf. The original makers of 1957 decorations never marked their production with L/12 markings.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-22-2007, 12:05 AM. Reason: Updated parts of text material

Here is a variation of the set above. The grey cardbow is now printed with Klein & Quenzer. Note how thick the oakleaves are.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM. Reason: Updated parts of text material

Comment

The L/12 marking.
      Attached Files

Comment

The 65 marking.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is the type of oakleaves that comes with the sets above. To match it with the Juncker set it is marked L/12. Again, no such markings existed on the oakleaves produced at the time.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-21-2007, 01:58 PM. Reason: Updated parts of text material

Comment

Variation in finish on these modern 1957 sets. The left one have a sandblasted appearance. The right one is polished to replicate the burnishing on 1957 Knight Crosses from 1957 to 1965. Note the rough cut of the frame on the polished piece.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-21-2007, 01:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Modern 1957 oakleaves (picture on the left) side by side with an early quality 1957 oakleaves (picture on the right). The swords on the modern set is not a real strike. Instead they are casted. Cracks can be seen. Note how the loop on the modern set wraps around and ends on the reverse surface of the swords. Note as well on the modern set, the sharply pointed leaf on the lefthand side.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-21-2007, 01:59 PM. Reason: Updated parts of text material

Comment

Modern 1957 RK.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-21-2007, 01:31 PM.

Comment

The modern 1957 RK above can in fact be bought from a company that have sold replicas for a long time. Below is a image with their logo. They also have a version with swastika.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-21-2007, 01:59 PM. Reason: Updated parts of text material

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking View Post
                    Variation in finish on these 1957 fakes. The left one is sandblasted. The right one is polished to replicate the burnishing on genuine early 1957 Knight Crosses. Note the rough cut of the frame on the polished piece.
                    good thread.

when you say sandblasted, do you mean it has a sort of dull grainy finish to the frames? I have seen crosses such as these. Avoid!

Comment

Good remark Dave. Here is a better photo showing this sanblasted/dull surface. Avoid these pieces. They are not from the early quality production.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is a detailed photo of how this dull surface has been polished away. 1957 Knight Crosses from the early production was never finished using this method.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-21-2007, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking View Post
                          Good remark Dave. Here is a better photo showing this sanblasted/dull surface. Avoid these pieces. They are not real pieces from that 1957 era.
                          yes i got stung with such a piece before i knew better

The whole 57 era of awards needs to be navigated carefully if one wishes to collect such pieces.

Personally i would only ever buy pieces that can be seen to be from the early manufactured '57 awards. i have seen too many duds that look like they were made last week.

I guess it depends what you want. I like to colect pieces that have a feeling of history to them so that can rule out a lot of 57 awards for me.

just my opinion though.

Comment

Fake DKiG found on ebay.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow, I had no idea they were repop'ing the 57's, but I'm not surprised. I know the later stuff was always a grey area so I've always pursued the earliest issue pieces.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X