WW2 "Commando" F-S fighting knife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 "Commando" F-S fighting knife.

Hi Guys, here is one of the star items from my collection. It is a first pattern Fairburn-Sykes "commando" knife. There were only 1,250 of these knifes made. They came in two versions. This is the second version with the smaller crossguard. (The first had a 3" recurved crossguard.) These knives were totally hand made.
    What makes this knife special is that I bought it direct from the Veteran. His name was Frank Barton. Frank is still alive and is a great guy. Here is his story.
    Frank started his military life in the Fusiliers. He did not like this as there was not enought action for his liking. So he volunteered for the Army Commandos. Frank was keen on PT and cross country running and was fairly fit and passed the grueling tests. Life in the Commandos was great according to Frank. There was the extra pay, plus they lived in billets, and were housed by local families (in Scotland) and they were paid an allowance to pay for their keep, which also made a little extra cash . Frank was in No.6 Commando. Frank was issued the knife, but never used it in anger. More about this later. He carried it on a raid to Norway, but this was cancelled before they got to the target. Frank's claim to fame was that he got the steer the Destroyer they were traveling on as he was bored and could not sleep, so he managed to get onto the Bridge and talked the sailor into letting him steer the ship!
    Frank took part in the Invasion of North Africa in late 1942. His unit were dressed as Americans with M1 helmets, M41 jackets and complete with M1 semi auto Garand rifles. This was in order to fool the Vichy French. It was suspected that they might fire upon British troops but were perhaps more inclined to let "US" forces land unopposed. Frank wanted to keep the rifle as it was superior to the bolt action .303 Enfield. Frank's unit fought through North Africa, but his section was eventually cut off by a German counter attack and were surrounded. Short of ammo and with several wounded, they decided to surrender. Frank was shipped out to a PoW camp in Italy. During his stay he was reunited with his brother who was in another unit and had also been taken prisoner in North Africa. Frank's mother wrote to the Pope and managed to get them placed in the same PoW camp. With the Italian surrender in May 1943, Frank made good his escape and rejoined his unit. He was not welcomed back with open arms but instead got a bollocking from his CO for disgracing the unit by not fighting to the last man! As a punisment he was made to re-do his commando training.
    I asked Frank how come he still had the knife. His answer was very honest. he said he and many others were actually scared to carry them in action. He said that they were worried that this type of knife might be against the rules of war and also that it marked you out as a Commando soldier. This could be fatal later in the war due to Hitlers infamous "Kommando order" that no Brits were to be taken PoW from these units any more. As a result, Frank left his knife in his billet with his landlady, hence it's mint condition today.
    Frank went in on D Day and fought throughout the rest of the war in North West Europe. He later made Sgt. With the end of the war the Army Commandos were disbanded. Frank liked military life and wanted to stay in. However this would mean a return to the Fusiliers. Not a good thing. The Brtish regimental tradition is not forgiving to those who leave the Regt. to join fancy elite units! So Frank volunteered for the Parachute Regt. he was shipped out to Palestein and did his jump training there. He served in 2nd Battalion. Frank finally left the Army in the early 1950's.
    Hope you have enjoyed reading about Frank? Here are the pics of his knife.
    Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 02-15-2003, 06:34 AM.

Reverse of scabbard. Note the tabs. These have small cuts in them which Frank made to allow the scabbard to be buttoned to the leg of his BD trousers.
    Attached Files

Comment

Knife showing "Wilkinson sword" trade mark.
      Attached Files

Comment

F-S markings.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys, here is a photo of Frank taken on D - Day June 6th 1944. Frank is the chap in the leather jerkin standing on the right. He still wears his Regimental cap badge as was the norm in the Army Commandos, as they did not have a badge of their own. This picture has been used in many books about D Day and Normandy and is quite well known. It was first published in the "News of the World" newspaper. This was (and still is) a tabloid British Sunday newspaper which used to have a "saucy" image. Frank loves to tell how he was once on the front page
          Going back to Frank's knife. It is featured in the book on British Airborne / Special forces kit "For King & Country". However, the captions of totally incorrect and show Frank's knife but credited to belonging to another soldier.
          Cheers, Ade.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ade,

Wonderful story and how lucky you are to own that dagger! I`m so envious! I do recognise it from the King & Country book. Weird how the description was totally wrong? I know a NO.10 commando vet but sadly he no longer still has his wartime dagger. He was a diplomat after the war (really!) and due to travelling all over the world he lost alot of his memorabilia. He still has all his paperwork though (Award documents, Paybook, Commando Brevet etc..) and teases me with them every time I visit

Regards,

Des

Comment

Hi Des, I thought you would like the dagger. Frank is a real gentleman. He lives not far from my parents home. I always said to him, if he ever wanted to sell his dagger I would be interested. Well, one day he telephoned me to say that he was selling the dagger and had placed it in the hands of a auction house in Nottingham. I went down to view the dagger and it was not on display I called Frank and told him. He in turn contacted the auctioneers who told him they had decided to withdraw the dagger from this sale and place it in a forthcoming collectors sale. A month went by and the same thing happened, the sale went ahead, but no dagger was listed. I called Frank again and told him that they were messing him about. I had got visions of them having lost it. However, he went and recovered the dagger safely. Frank called me and said the dagger was now mine. I shot around to his home and gave him £300. This was some years ago now. Frank was over the moon The money paid for a holiday for him and his wife. He also gave me his 37 pattern web "cut down tankers" holster that I am wearing in "For King & Country". He carried his .45 Colt M1911 auto in it. He also gave me an MP40 pouch, with two mags and a MP40 loader. (Frank carried an MP40) I told him I could not accept these, as they were worth a lot of money. He said " give me a drink for them" so I paid him my last tenner.
              Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Oh Absolutely Sickening!!

But

it could`nt have happened to a nicer guy!

Lucky Devil!

Des

Comment

Hi Guys, here is another knife from my collection, this time a 2nd pattern "FS" knife. This example is a private purchase example and has no makers mark or "FS" logo.
                  This knife was owned by my Great Uncle, Denis Stevenson. How Uncle Den came to own the knife is something of a mystery? Uncle Den was in the Royal Naval Air Service in WW1 and did not serve in WW2, being over age, but he did live in Scotland, which was a good place to pick up an "FS" knife. My Dad actually carried this knife in the Boy Scouts in the late 1940's until he stabbed his hand with it My Grandma then banished the knife to the top of the wardrobe where I "liberated" it aged about 16
                  Cheers, Ade.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Knife out of scabbard.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is my third pattern "FS" knife. (This is the one that came with my 2nd pattern Airborne helmet.) Again it is featured in the book "For King & Country". Note the brown elastic retaining strap on the scabbard, this is correct for WW2 production. Post war scabbards have black elastic. The holes in the leather are from where the Vet had the knife mounted on this wall. The knife is maker marked on the crossguard for "William Rodgers, Sheffield"
                      Cheers, Ade.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Knife out of scabbard.
                        Attached Files

Comment

As you can see these 2nd and 3rd pattern knives differed greatly from the first pattern. As usual, it all came down to production costs. The first pattern knife was completely hand made. The 2nd pattern was now machine made. The 3rd pattern was cheaper still to produce, with a cast grip. They were only made with the blackened finish. They are still made today for issue to the Royal Marine Commandos.
                          Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Guys, I thought that I would tag this onto this old thread. I just came across an E Bay auction of a 1st pattern FS Knife which sold for £1,022 This one has a badly sharpened and shortened blade too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2194153808

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi guys,
                              Great thread! I've been interested in S-F daggers for many years.
                              Here are 3 of mine, the rest are boxed away right now. These are
                              a 2nd pattern and 2-3rd pattern. These are fairly common however
                              the last few years the prices have taken quite a jump.

The 1st. pattern knife that was posted is very rare and very sought
                              after. That is a very great addition to any fight knife collection.

GREAT JOB

Greg
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X