Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unknown knights cross winner?

hello,
    does anybody know these knights cross winners?

Hello
    A big issue ! I try to summarize the fact
    From Left to Right :
    unID 1 :
    Unteroffizier, KC Holder, Tank Destruction Badge (insituted on 09/03/1942), no DK at that time (i.e. when the photo was taken)
    unID 2 :
    Felwebel (at least) or Oberfeldwebel, KC Holder, no DK at that time, Feldherrnhalle cuff title (as far as I can see)
    unID 3 :
    Oberfeldwebel, OL recipient, coming from a Jäger/Gebirgsjäger unit due to his cap, no DK at that time
    unID 4 :
    Felwebel (at least) or Oberfeldwebel, KC Holder, no DK at that time

First of all, I would say that this photo was taken in early 1943 : due to the following facts
    - most (all ?) soldiers wears early tunics (M36, M40)
    - all enlisted men wear overseas caps rather than M43 caps
    - all NCO wears schirmutzen
    - the Tank Destruction Badge was created on March, 1942
    - the first Heer NCO was awarded the Ol on 25/01/1943 (Primozic)

In theory, the easiest soldier to identify should be the Eichenlaubträger :
    A rapid count among the OL recipients gives us 27 soldiers who were awarded the oakleaves under the rank of Leutnant. Our guy must be among those following ones :
    ARNDT FRITZ
    BOIGK HEINRICH
    BONK GEORG
    BORCHARDT HELMUTH
    BRAUN CHRISTIAN
    HRUSTAK MARTIN
    KAMINSKY EMIL
    KARL JOSEF
    KERSCHER ALBERT
    KOCH WILLI
    KOHNZ BRUNO
    KRUSE ERNST
    KUNERT GERHARD
    KUTSCHKAU ERNST
    MATERN ALFRED
    MÖSE WALTER
    PILARSKI HUBERT
    PRIMOZIC HUGO
    REUTER BENNO
    RIETSCHER GEORG
    SCHLEE RUDOLF
    SCHREIBER JOSEF
    SCHWERDFEGER JOHANN
    STRIPPEL HANS
    STÜHMER GUSTAV
    SÜSS WALTER
    WEGERER FERDINAND

We can exclude the posthumous awardees who are :
    KUNERT GERHARD
    STÜHMER GUSTAV

25 ones remain.

Among those, if we take into account the only ones who were awarded the KC between January, 1944, 6 ones remain who are :
    KOHNZ BRUNO
    KRUSE ERNST
    PRIMOZIC HUGO
    RIETSCHER GEORG
    SCHLEE RUDOLF
    SCHREIBER JOSEF

Among those, we might exclude all guys who were awarded the DKiG before the KC or the EL since we can suppose that the unknown OL recipient would have wore the DK if he had been awarded it : 2 soldiers might be excluded (I know, the possiblity exists that the unknown guy was a DK holder and NOT wore it !!!)
    KOHNZ BRUNO
    DKiG : 014/09/1942
    RK : 17/12/1942

KRUSE ERNST
    DKiG : 19/01/1942
    RK : 06/10/1942

AMong the 4 llast ones, only ones belongs to a Jäger/Gebirsjäger unit : this is Rudolf Schlee
    The problem with my assumption list is that I don't find much resemblance between Schlee and unID 3 !!!

To be Continued

Regards
    Denis

Comment

Sorry, I didn't want to lost all I had typed

Here are some photos of various soldiers who might be unID 3
      First of all Rudolf Schlee since he might be the soldier we are looking for :

Note that Schlee's ribbon bar on the following photo is not similar with the one worn by unID3 (don't like that !!)
      Attached Files

Comment

2 photos of Bruno Kohnz
        one from Film Foto Verlag
        Attached Files

Comment

2nd from Kohnz
          from Hoffmann
          Attached Files

Comment

For your interest, the following photos depict soldiers from the "short list" (last 6 ones)

Ernst Kruse from Film Foto Verlag
            Attached Files

Comment

Hugo Primozic from Film Foto Verlag (just to show you that there is really no resemblance with unID 3 ). Besides, Primozic belonged to a Sturmgeschutz unit and he is always shown wearing a Fieldgrey wrapper.
              Attached Files

Comment

Georg Rietscher from Film Foto Verlag
                Attached Files

Comment

Josef Schreiber from Film Foto Verlag (thanks to this publisher BTW )
                  Attached Files

Comment

and a last one from Schreiber depicting him hatless from Hoffmann
                    Attached Files

Comment

Regarding the 3 other KC holders
                      unID 2 DOESN't wear a Feldherrnhalle cuff title since the FHH was worn on the left sleeve. Sorry for that !
                      So I suppose this cuff title would be a GD one. Am I right ?
                      If so, it might ease the identification of unID 2.
                      I wait for members's opinions about that latter point to continue my investigation.
                      BTW, i would also like to have comments about my previous assumptions related to the identification of the OL recipient.
                      Regards
                      Denis

Comment

Thats a nice photo to see! Is there a date on this photo at all? I agree with Denis that this was takein 1943.
                        I can not make out if they are wearing "W" for Wach Bataillon “Großdeutschland” of the actuall "GD "cyphers?

The RKT second from left is Obfw. Otto Brakat:

Ritterkreuz Verliehen als Unteroffizier und Gruppenführer (as the first and only N.C.O of 1 Kavallerie Division!)

/Ian
                        Last edited by Ian Jewison; 06-21-2008, 02:52 PM.
                        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

I think the EL is Rudolf Schlee as he served with Wach Bataillon “Großdeutschland” as an Obfw. and a Lt. (still there as a Kp. commander 20 Juli 1944!)
                          So this photo is obviously members of Wach Bataillon “Großdeutschland” having a smoke break, possibly 3 Kompanie as that is where Herr Brakat served!!!
                          Two down two to go!!!

/Ian
                          Last edited by Ian Jewison; 01-24-2003, 08:51 AM.

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Hi
                            Good job Ian !!
                            The first one (Uffz. or unID 1) is not easy to identify :
                            166 KC holders are counted and would be able to fit with him :
                            Heer member
                            Being awarded the KC as an Uffz. (or rank below)
                            Not belonging to a Jäger/Gebirsjäger unit
                            As for unID 4, it is curious to see that he doesn't wear the NCO tresse around his collar and his peaked cap has no chinstrap. Would he be a candidate officer (fahnrich or oberfahnrich) ? This latter fact might ease the identification.
                            Denis

Comment

Hi Denis,
                              I noticed that also with RKT 4...couldn't make out if they were Offizieren collar tabs or not.......but I think they are so that would make him an Oberfähnrich.
                              Still quite hard though as these men won there awards prior to this engagement.....
                              I am sure I do recognise his face though!!

/Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X