• Time
  • Show
Clear All

alter art your opinion please...

hello !
    this is a ss officier alter art, please give me your opinion
    thanks !

I have several concerns about the cap:

1. The fabric appears to be very coarse and loose weave, very typical of woolens made since the 1960s and available at the lower end of the price range. Very unusual for wool of the this period, late war wool was a very different weave pattern and color.

2. The wear and age of the sweatband is not consistant with the rest of the cap, really the either the inside or ouside. These caps with any wear at all would really show grim and wear on the visors and around the bottom edge. Band on this one look well sweated but surrounding wool is not what I would expect.

3. Piping looks very fuzzy and does not strike me as period....may be ok but is not what I consider typical.

4. The lower wool band looks very fat and thick and generally not as neat as I normally see on orginals.

5.Bottom of velvet cap band and piping show some kind of loose thread and not so neat join. I don't what is going there, but my radar really goes up on that type of characteristic.

There seem to be an infinite variety of fakes, reproductions and copies of these caps around, some being 40 years old. I can not even start keeping track of all of the copies and the originals are so rare that I have no doubt that not all varieties have been seen. These cloth visored SS old styles are almost non-existant, but this one is very differnent form the few originals that I have seen.

What is under the velvet band?

Comment

Could it be that the coarse wool is due to it being washed? I know that some other hats Ive seen have wool damage from that.

Comment

hello,
        thank you very much U96 and PHILD

yes, she was washed by the last owner, that the reason why the wool shinning, and please, what did you think about the insignas?

I think that's why the tissu seems to be new and not old ( because she was wasched a few years ago )

I'll send soon other picture of the cap.

See you soon

Comment

other pictures !
          under the leather visor, and detail interior, the silver kordel boutton is marqued in the black band, look
          thanks !

Comment

I have some doubts about this one.

Compare it with this cap posted here:
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=163504

Comment

very thanks for your answer BENVK, I see your htpp and this is a other alter art, other wool, other black band, other manufacture...
              you have a some doubts? please, tell me your doubts... ( the cap is was washed )

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X