GeneralAssaultMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone read this sutterlein on ek1 doco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone read this sutterlein on ek1 doco?

Hi there, some help please what exactly does the writing say on this? I'm mainly interested in the name and the very long GD regiment name...

Leutnant Paul Jäschke
    2. Kompanie Regiment Preschmann
    der Panzergrenadier Einsatz Brigade Grossdeustchland

That´s about it.

Cheers, ustufvorwaerts
    silent leges et artes inter arma - im Waffenlärm schweigen die Gesetze und die Künste

Comment

thanks mate.

Comment

Just a small point, but this is not Sütterlin script. It is normal Latin (Roman) script.
        Max.

Comment

Another small point: the name is actually J******228;rschke, not J******228;schke.
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Heukemes
            Another small point: the name is actually Järschke, not Jäschke.
            hmm ... read it too fast then - used to know a guy named Jäschke.
            But it´s clearly Järschke.

ustufvorwaerts
            silent leges et artes inter arma - im Waffenlärm schweigen die Gesetze und die Künste

Comment

ok, its not that I'm lazy...but I'm finding it very hard to find this General's(?) name from the GD division...

Also the stamp...

?? schultz 6(?) Ers (for Einsatz?) Brig. Grossdeustchland

THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by max history
                Just a small point, but this is not Sütterlin script. It is normal Latin (Roman) script.
                Max.
                There are some elements of Suetterlin - look at the mark over the u in Leutnant as well as the d in der. I guess the writer was in transition!

I have a letter by a woman in the 1930's who started the letter in "modern" style and then halfway through switched back to Suetterlin - her Suetterlin was much nicer.

I have also noticed that German PWs were required to write in modern style perhaps for the sake of their Allied censors.

Comment

Originally posted by F L Clemens
                  There are some elements of Suetterlin - look at the mark over the u in Leutnant as well as the d in der.
                  Sorry, can't agree. That's not Sütterlin; it's more handwriting style. Sütterlin is a definite type of lettering. Strokes over some letters (not umlauts) in older German are quite common and the "d" is also a common form of written "d" by older Germans.
                  Max.

Comment

[quote=max history]Sorry, can't agree. That's not S******252;tterlin; it's more handwriting style. S******252;tterlin is a definite type of lettering....[quote]

I see you missed the point, that's fine anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bratwurstdimsum

Also the stamp...

?? schultz 6(?) Ers (for Einsatz?) Brig. Grossdeustchland

THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING!!!
                      The stamp is for the OB (Offiziers-Bewerber) Schule of the Ersatz-Brigade-GD. When the Ersatz-Brigade was mobilized as a front unit, they changed the name to Einsatz-Brigade. They were in action in Northern Germany against the Brits. I have a Soldbuch for a baby-faced OB from the same unit. I will try to look up the commander's signature.

Comment

To follow up on the unit - According to Wegmann "Kriegsende zwischen Ems und Weser 1945", on the night of 3 April 1945, the PzGren.-Ersatz-Brigade GD was renamed as PzGren.-Einsatz-Brigade GD. The OB Schule was renamed as Regiment Poeschmann. The Brigadekommandeur was Oberst Glaesemer.
                        There is only a brief mention of Glaesemer in the book, however Major Poeschmann is referenced 18 times.
                        Järschke is mentioned once on page 89 as bravely leading a counterattack - most likely the reason for his EK1.
                        Very nice document you have! If you want more research contact me directly at panzerbaer@aol.com.

Comment

[QUOTE=F L Clemens][quote=max history]Sorry, can't agree. That's not Sütterlin; it's more handwriting style. Sütterlin is a definite type of lettering....

I see you missed the point, that's fine anyway.

Well, this forum is so we can all learn something isn't it?
                          The translation was given, and some ADDITIONAL info too ;-)
                          Nothing wrong with that and in my opinion, also not besides the point.

Comment

Thank you so much for your detailed answer mate

So does the sig belong to Glaesmer then? Do you have his full name?

Cheers

Jeff

Originally posted by F L Clemens
                            To follow up on the unit - According to Wegmann "Kriegsende zwischen Ems und Weser 1945", on the night of 3 April 1945, the PzGren.-Ersatz-Brigade GD was renamed as PzGren.-Einsatz-Brigade GD. The OB Schule was renamed as Regiment Poeschmann. The Brigadekommandeur was Oberst Glaesemer.
                            There is only a brief mention of Glaesemer in the book, however Major Poeschmann is referenced 18 times.
                            Järschke is mentioned once on page 89 as bravely leading a counterattack - most likely the reason for his EK1.
                            Very nice document you have! If you want more research contact me directly at panzerbaer@aol.com.

Comment

Yes, it is Glaesemer. The "l" is quite small in his signature, but it is there. I don't have a full name on him, but I could try looking up his personnel file in the next couple of days. Are you the owner of the document? Were there any other items with it?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X