Question on S.S. General's Collar tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on S.S. General's Collar tabs

Want to get some opinions on these collar tabs before I buy them.

I've a mis-matched pair. And it would be nice to have a matching set.

The tabs are on Craig Gottleib site. Kinda expensive at $5795. But thet're rare.

Thanks,
    Howard
    Last edited by Howard Kelley; 05-25-2006, 01:13 AM.

Can we see the backs? I don't think those match- look at the difference in the distance of the pips from the braiding. Also the stems to the oakleaves are quite different and the acorns are different sizes.

Comment

Last edited by Bobwirtz; 10-26-2006, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Link to site

Hello Patrick,

Here is the link to the website. And link to collar tabs.

www.craiggottlieb.com

http://216.158.106.12/data/inspect.a...rman+Militaria

Cheers,
        Howard

Originally posted by Patrick W
        Can we see the backs? I don't think those match- look at the difference in the distance of the pips from the braiding. Also the stems to the oakleaves are quite different and the acorns are different sizes.

Comment

Last edited by Bobwirtz; 10-26-2006, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Photo of my tabs

Thanks Bob,

Here a photo of my Tabs. Mis-matched pair.

They are not for sell. Please don't ask.

Regards,
            Howard

Originally posted by Bobwirtz
            Pips look too large and are certainly not centered. The edges of the oakleaves and the acorns do have have the detail I would expect of originals. The outer oakleaves on each tab should curve slightly to the outside edge. The tab on the left appears to have that outer oakleaf curving the opposite way and the same oakleaf on the right tab looks completely straight. IMHO these are not authentic and I would pass on them.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Kelley
              Thanks Bob,

Here a photo of my Tabs. Mis-matched pair.

Regards,
              Howard

Close-up photo showing detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Kelley
                Close-up photo showing detail.

Close-up photo showing detail of #2 tab.

Comment

Last edited by Bobwirtz; 10-26-2006, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Hello Bob,

You have made some very good points. I do see the potential for conflicts and dis-agreements. However is this not the whole reason that this forum exists? A bantering of knowledge in order to find the truth, or originality of an item? I am also a collector / dealer. I am not ashamed to learn if I have an item that is fake. It is part of life, and learning. Several items I have posted on this forum have been evaluated as fakes/reproduction items. I have removed them from my selling trays.

What I'm trying to say.............
                    Is if you put something into the public domain be prepared to receive praise or negative answers. Be a man an accept the results. Good or Bad.

It's a double edged sword. These are just my rules of doing business. Shoot straight from the hip. Sometimes you hit, and sometimes you get hit. That's life.

Perspectives from a dealer with a collectors' heart. Take it for what it's worth.

Howard

P.S. Not trying to start trouble, I was only looking for opinions on these tabs.

Howard,

Generally speaking I think it's always a good idea not to mention the source. I think that in order to get an unbiased review and comment, the dealer's name should be omitted... at least initially. Many members of this forum are patrons of these dealers and will defend them regardless of what they are peddling and then you get this fighting and bickering amonst those who patronize this dealer and those who don't like him. In order to get honest opinions I think the forum should adopt a policy of not mentioning the source.

Regards,
                    Bob

PS - I just checked the website that you have linked so I could check out the other pictures and it seems there are no pictures of the backs. Have they been removed, or is there a problem with the website?
                    Last edited by Howard Kelley; 04-29-2006, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Comment

Just check out the Herman Historica auction with this SS/Police General lot, faked collar tabs. Offered for 1500 Euro + fees, I am sure somebody will buy them.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'll put forward my point.....

$5795.......forget it

What a joke

Brett

Comment

Howard,

I understand your position, however, when you mention the source, many times THIS becomes the issue and not the artifact. People then take sides for or against the source, regardless of the authenticity of the artifact and it clouds the objectivities of members, who would otherwise concentrate on the artifact at hand and not be concerned with loyalties, etc.

And I'm not trying to start a fight either, but so far I guess we've deviated from the purpose of this thread. However, regardless of who is selling these, I don't like them and I think they are reproductions - very well done, but reproductions none the less. Seems we are having a two-way conversation on these... another point: nobody else seems willing to put forth their two cents worth because of their feelings towards the source.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Yes, I do see your point of view.

Guess I've always judged the relic first and the dealer second.

I just hate the idea of taking someone's photos from their website without their permission. That's one of the reasons I mentioned the dealer. Next time, I'll try and use more tact.

Thanks for the conversation, Bob!

It was a pleasure speaking with you.

Regards,
                            Howard

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X