MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A book list for our hobby : Introduction (Read it First !)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A book list for our hobby : Introduction (Read it First !)

Hello everybody

All members that have contributed to the forum have surely noticed that many request were related to the documentation available on our hobby. Many of us have done their best to respond to each specific request but to this day, nothing really exists in a single place to exhaustively list the documentation available to collectors to help them in gaining knwoldege. This is really sad since books, booklets, magazines and so on are one of the first tool (with such a forum of course) to avoid to be burnt by fakes which become more and more dangerous.
    I really believe that hard earned money spent on books is never wasted : the "return on investment" is rapidly obtained when you avoid buying a copy.
    Beyond the fake plague, everybody need to improve his "theorical" knowledge by reading books.
    What I would like to do with the following topic is to list most of books available to fellow collectors and sorted by thema.
    I originally write "most of books which are worth reading" but I correct myself. Indeed, I found this last part too much controversial. For those who might doubt, just have a look on the various topics dealing with the Tucker/Previtera last book and you will see the hot climate (to say the least) generated among fellow members.

From my side, I firmly believe that all books are useful and can deserve a place on a bookshelf. I know (for having some in my library) that several books are outdated, others contain mistakes (intentionnaly done or not). Everybody has the right to express his own opinion about a book like I have mine regarding some specific books which will be listed. In other words, quoting a book that does not mean that I agree with his contents : this is onlyu intended to help other collectors who might not be aware of its existence. After that, everybody has to do his homework and see what is right and what can be wrong in those books.

In order to ease the use of this list, I have divided it into several groups (some of these are themselves subdivided into sections due to the large quantity of information available):
    1- Medals and Awards
    2- Uniforms and Cloth Insignia
    3- Headgear
    4- Recipients Lists and Rank Lists
    5- Unit Histories/Organization and Bibliographies
    6- Weaponry
    7- Documents, Papers and Postcards
    8- Vehicules, Aircrafts, Ships and Tanks
    9- Others

A first list will be given in each topic related to one of the above mentioned thema. Of course, this is a first draft and it cannot be exhaustive. We are waiting for your comments and should you have a book to add, just drop a line in the related topic with the author's name and the full and exact title and I will amend/edit the list. I have tried to restrain to the books dealing with the militaria topic in a broad sense.
    Please note that books are sorted by alphabetical order based on the author's name. Should a book be coauthored, the first alphabetical first name is taken into account.

Enjoy !
    Regards
    Denis

Hi Denis.....

As Denis has so capably stated, books are a beginning and opinions will vary, but they are invaluable for their knowledgable content about any field of collecting that one desires to specialize in.

Most certainly in the field of Third Reich collectibles.

My best regards and compliments to you Denis, for your having taken the time to assemble and post for us such a wide variety of reference books concerning our common field of interest.

-------------------------

Bruce

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X