HG 4 pocket uniform - opinions & information requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HG 4 pocket uniform - opinions & information requested

Attached are a few images of a blouse I acquired about ten years or so ago - Heer pattern M43 tunic but with LW insignia. I have heard from a couple of people whose expertise I value that they have seen at least two other examples configured identically; i.e., cufftitle 'made' into the sleeve, national emblem rather sloppily applied through the lining, etc. I would like to know if anyone else has encountered or currently owns a similar jacket and if the construction details are similar. And I'd especially welcome any critical comments that would contribute to my learning. Note: the shoulder straps did not come with the tunic. Thanks to all in advance!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Good grief Mike! I've heard of these, but had never seen one that I believed was original and unmessed with til yours. Ultra rare!
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Nothing wrong with..,rare piece,great !

Jos.

Comment

Hi Mike

Could you explain to me the extra stitching ( I edited you photo)? Is that the shadow of a previous Heer adler?

Juan
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jcsanche
                    Hi Mike

Could you explain to me the extra stitching ( I edited you photo)? Is that the shadow of a previous Heer adler?

Juan
                    Nope, I can't explain the extra stitching/different thread but I am interested in the opinion of others. I see no evidence of a Heer eagle but the LW national emblem is indeed sloppily applied (quite a contrast to the sleevtitle). The question is have others seen similar application on other examples?
                    Last edited by Mike Davis; 03-12-2006, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I dont like it..wanna sell it??Billbert

Comment

The lining shows there was never another eagle before..
                        Maybe the sewing machine wasn't lined up properly when started or ended or something ?

Still don't having problems..,I like the way the eagle is sewn..rude,but right..
                        The cufftitle probably was applied by another person,good to see it wasn't done with the same machine..

Jos.
                        Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 03-13-2006, 09:46 AM.

Comment

MIke..identical in every aspect to the one I owned from Bob Sevier and mine was the exact piece pictured in Angolias book...down to the eagle sewn through the lining..and title...the wool is one of a kind. The color of your lining also dead on with mine..not the standard luft lining. Additionally..buttons were also luft blue.Wool quite distinct, and not encountered on standart M43 Army issue tunics. Sleeve closure buttons and collar liner buttons were either a luft blue or a green glass, not paper or dished out smaller luft buttons. Yours is the third I've seen...Battlefield Bob of Minessota had one I handled too at the Max in 1996. Same construction and details. They are real and VERY rare in my opinion...wish I still had mine! I'll post pics when I find it! If you check in Benders old book on the Herman Goring..you will see a picture of several black HG men being awarded knights/crosses and other awards..a few are weraring if I recall correctly the grey HG wrapper..at least one wears the four pocket version you have. I had been told they were for HG assult gun/tank destroyer units. Whether that is 100 accurate I do not know..but the eagle on mine was identically stitched. If I remember correctly..the thread used for the top bobbin (showing on the jacket ) was definitely a more greenish grey (I mean as opposed to the eagle.it wasn't blue or grey) Also..the end of the gimp corded button holes (bar tacked portion) were finished in the same green as the thread used to machine stitch the eagle. I remember the wool has a bit of subtle brownish hue to it..Bob called it a "F***ed up" field grey..his exact words!
                          Sevier also had the matching trousers out of the same material ...I missed out of the trousers..my jacket was purchased in 1995..for 1700 ..which to me seemed like a lot at the time..but today..Im sure it would be a bargain! These jackets are exponentially more rare than SS issue tunics...the fact that they werent the coveted "SS" probably accounts for the disparity in price. I sold mine to Shea in 2002. My tunic..as well as Battlefield Bob's..was unissued..which yours appears to be as well.unless Im missing something. I've never seen one that wasn't unissued. How many more are out there is anyone's guess..I'd venture to say relative few.
                          Last edited by Scott A. Hess; 03-13-2006, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Scott, thanks very much - this is exactly the kind of information I sought.

In addition to the photo you mentioned of the HG RKTs being awarded in 1945, you may also recall the series of photos made at RM Göring's surrender - an accompanying officer was wearing this style jacket (see pages 301 - 303 of volume 2 - Davis' Uniforms and Insignia of the LW). Of note is the position of the national emblem and the type of sleevetitle worn.

Regarding this particular specimen, it was definitely used and shows some nap wear, a little staining and is missing a few of the smaller buttons.

It would be gratifying to see photos of similar pieces should anyone have them...

Comment

Mike,
                              Could you please post a closer view of the upper front buttonhole ? That would help quite a lot in categorizing the jacket as a true LW item.
                              The stitching of the eagle throughout the lining is normal on LW-Felddivision tunics.

On the other hand, the HG cuff band looks spuriously stitched to the sleeve.

Best,
                              Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X