KM Flare gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM Flare gun

Here is a fantastic KM piece that i was able to recently add to my collection. But aside from being KM and an early piece, i have not been able to find much out about these. I have seen a variation of SS KM flaregun but none like this one. With any luck someone can shed a little light on these for me

Thanks, Dale
    Attached Files

markings
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice

Originally posted by Dale
      markings
      Very nice Walther Stainless steel KM Double barrel Flare Gun> It is called the Walther Model SLD (Signal u. Leucht Doppel), they also came in a single BBl. variation as well Model SL ( Signal U. Leucht) ................BILL
      Last edited by BILL GRIST; 05-12-2005, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BILL GRIST
        Very nice Walther Stainless steel KM Double barrel Flare Gun> It is called the Walther Model SLD (Signal u. Leucht Doppel), they also came in a single BBl. variation as well Model SL ( Signal U. Leucht) ................BILL
        Thanks for the speedy reply Bill. I was just reading that the SS flare guns were
        U-boat specific. I did not purchase this under that assumption however it would be a great twist. Thoughts?

Comment

Km

Originally posted by Dale
          Thanks for the speedy reply Bill. I was just reading that the SS flare guns were
          U-boat specific. I did not purchase this under that assumption however it would be a great twist. Thoughts?
          I would think that they would be used on any type KM ship...BILL

Comment

Hello, your flaregun is a rare Stainless Steel SLD Model. There were ~ 4000+ of this model produced. The single barrel version of this gun is a little scarcer, with only ~ 3600 produced. Since there is a serial # 60 known of both models, they each have their own serial number series.

Although they were produced for the U-Boats, examples are known to have come off other ships. Like all firearms during war, they went where they were needed !

There is also an anodized aluminum version of the double barrel with the maker code eeu in a rectangle. Over 6000 of these were produced in 1943 and 44.

Also another aluminum version by Heym, only ~ 200 made for WWII, but this producer also made this version after the war ! They are very scarce in the USA, and even Germany, as Most of the postwar models were destroyed instead of being sold surplus.

Comment

Here is one that has had me stumped for a while. When I picked it up I thought it would be a quick and easy research trip through Herr Kern's reference... but that turned out not to be the case! If you guys have any ideas, I would sure appreciate a clue on this one. It is clearly KM marked. Oddly enough, it came with another Walther stainless SLD model as discussed above!

Comment

Jeff,

This look like a Sander Leinenpistole to me.
                A pistol to shoot lines over from one ship to another etc.
                But other people will be able to tell you more about this.

Nice one

Comment

Thanks Kris!

This one comes from near you - it was part of Roger DeBruyne's collection in Dadizele. The grease in the photo is some of his 'super gloop' preservative. Fortunately, it comes off with a little soap and hot water.

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Thanks for the info Jeff

Comment

It is indeed a Sander Leinenpistole. which is a line throwing gun. There are a number of variations of this model known, Yours is Aluminum with steel barrel, I am looking for the Brass barrel and/or frame versions. I will pay top dollar for variations I can use ! Good Collecting, signalman

Comment

KM Flare Gun: Walther SLD 1944 Model

Here are pictures of mine - similar to Dale's, but the later anodized aluminum, double-barrel model - as referenced by Signalman above.

John
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Maker mark:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for these nice pictures..

No more comment. Everything has been written.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X