Comment

8 Panzer M40 sidecap wool nap/ pile. Not easy to photograph
          Attached Files

Comment

Explanation for post numbers 57 to 64,

Chris

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
            Hello OSS,

I agree with your observation in terms of the Panzer M43 which started this thread. The point that you raise also crossed my mind. The Panzer M40 sidecap which I have posted however, has all its nap/ pile in tact in the areas which are not exposed.

When I get a chance, I will take some pictures with the flap pulled down so the intact pile can be seen. The cap was sewn together at the top, to give it a "jaunty" look. This stitching has now come apart and thus the intact pile can also be seen at the top of the cap where it has been folded together.

The distinctive weave pattern of the cloth is clearly apparent in the exposed areas of my cap but not so apparent in the unexposed areas where the nap/ pile still remain. My one has had a lot of use but sadly, it was also washed by the veteran's wife to clean it before I got it,

Chris

Comment

Another interesting panzer M43 made of this type of cloth/ wool mix http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=633707

Chris
              Attached Files

Comment

2 Another interesting panzer M43 made of this type of cloth/ wool mix,

Chris
                Attached Files

Comment

3 Another interesting panzer M43 made of this type of cloth/ wool mix,

Chris
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 90th Light; 11-25-2012, 01:01 AM.

Comment

4 Another interesting panzer M43 made of this type of cloth/ wool mix,

Chris
                    Attached Files

Comment

5 Another interesting panzer M43 made of this type of cloth/ wool mix,

Chris
                      Attached Files

Comment

I saw it and for me - I have not the smallest doubt that this hat is original

Comment

What a really interesting thread and although I have nothing to add due to this being outside my area of so-called expertise, i'm looking forward to see how this one pans out.

I do like to see someone challenge an item if they feel it's incorrect and I also like to see someone defend what they feel is correct but what really "grinds my gears" is some of the larger collectors just shouting "fake" because an item isn't textbook.

I work in an industry where an product that we have manufactured for several years has had many tweaks, new bits, improved bits and bits made cheaper since it's first incarnation and I don't doubt that the cloth and metals for uniforms and badges didn't either from the same manufacturers over that nine or ten year period.

As a novice to cloth items I don't profess to know enough to give an educated opinion but I think that there is enough examples posted of this type of cloth to warrant giving it a second thought.

Lee

Comment

I would like to add a foto of my black sidecap.
                            I have no idea what it is.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Guess what folks, the original M43 cap that started this thread is still for sale. Interesting after all these years and at 1350 euro it's not flying off the shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreager View Post
                                Guess what folks, the original M43 cap that started this thread is still for sale. Interesting after all these years and at 1350 euro it's not flying off the shelf.
                                Link please.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X