No announcement yet.

Panzer Collection-Be Careful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know Bruce pretty well also and agree with Bob he is a stand up guy which can be seen by his reponse and immediately removing the items from his sale page. Everyone can't be an expert about everything (including some of the "experts" here). I would be curious to know what the comments are about these items are on a case by case basis.

Comment

Dispell the controversy for all, publicly?

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
      This discussion was started in a respectful manner by Glenn with a focus on the items, and was supposed to continue to be about the items, and not any of the people involved.
      Maybe to dispell all of the controversy, and since it is in the spirit [and maybe even the rules?] of the Forum, maybe Glenn could take the time to tell all of us why he believes some of these items are not so legitimate, and with a little more focus than a simple "be careful" opinion?

That would do much for what seems to be troubling everyone here . . .

Comment

Most of the items posted for sale are questionable based on comparison to known original items. Richard was a great guy but he had a lot of items that were not textbook and he was well aware of that. Some he posted and defended and others he never posted knowing that they would be called out as fakes on the forum.

With high end and very rare items sometimes a leap of faith is required. Those of us that have collected for a long time saw fakes coming out in the early 80s (IMO this is when the really good fake stuff started coming out on a large scale as market prices increased) that now are held by many as unquestionable original "non-text book" items.

I think Glenn's motivation was to prevent less experienced collectors from making expensive mistakes. Everyone says that collecting should be for the enjoyment of the hobby and I agree, but when you are buying questionable 3000 dollar hats and 25 K tunics I think a whistle from the wise is warranted.

Comment

Glenn said more than "be careful". On more than one occasion on this thread he made it pretty clear what he thought about all the items. When he posted the link, each item had quite a few detailed photos, to include the markings.

Troubling everyone?? The way I see it, after just having read the thread again, that only a few are troubled. Through the first 3 pages of this thread the posters were able to see those detailed views of the wraps and caps.

Honestly, items speak for themselves.......
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
            Most of the items posted for sale are questionable based on comparison to known original items. Richard was a great guy but he had a lot of items that were not textbook and he was well aware of that. Some he posted and defended and others he never posted knowing that they would be called out as fakes on the forum.

With high end and very rare items sometimes a leap of faith is required. Those of us that have collected for a long time saw fakes coming out in the early 80s (IMO this is when the really good fake stuff started coming out on a large scale as market prices increased) that now are held by many as unquestionable original "non-text book" items.

I think Glenn's motivation was to prevent less experienced collectors from making expensive mistakes. Everyone says that collecting should be for the enjoyment of the hobby and I agree, but when you are buying questionable 3000 dollar hats and 25 K tunics I think a whistle from the wise is warranted.
            A thoughtful summary IMO.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Makes sense . . .

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post

Honestly, items speak for themselves.......
              Thanks . . . understand completely - if the situation dictates certain items "speak for themselves", such a warning to the membership could be considered reasonably acceptable . . .

A warning free of substance seemed odd at first, and for a moment, had me questioning the purpose of this post . . . as long as the explanation for the warning is obvious enough, I'm with you . . .

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                Thanks . . . understand completely - if the situation dictates certain items "speak for themselves", such a warning to the membership could be considered reasonably acceptable . . .

A warning free of substance seemed odd at first, and for a moment, had me questioning the purpose of this post . . . as long as the explanation for the warning is obvious enough, I'm with you . . .
                I suspect Wolfe-Hardin/Siegfried & Roy was involved, Just my personal opinion. May have sold them to him as well. The stuff is crap. Sorry.

Comment

Sad thread on many levels.

Comment

Its a shame the photos were removed so quickly as I was wanting a bit of time to study each item in detail after work tonight...

I recall another thread where someone called out the LAH wrap as bad a few weeks ago, I dont see this thread as any different - call an item
                    out as you see it and save others from an expensive mistake.

Comment

Thanks Glenn for starting this thread. Agree whenever we see fake items we should let others know. But what bothers me a little is that it is not done often enough. Just now ? There are a lots of dealers sites offering fakes as originals. Yet we don't hear enough from the Old Guard here. Of course we can not be policemen for the entire collecting community either.....

Also there are a few questionable items still for sale on this site, just mho.

Also it is good to see Mr Singer post agian
                      Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 10-16-2012, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Wünsche View Post
                        Its a shame the photos were removed so quickly as I was wanting a bit of time to study each item in detail after work tonight...

I recall another thread where someone called out the LAH wrap as bad a few weeks ago, I dont see this thread as any different - call an item
                        out as you see it and save others from an expensive mistake.
                        The pictures are still on his site, you just have to find it, so save them before they are gone.

Army Sturmartillerie Generalmajor Wrap Tunic Set

Waffen-SS SS-Totenkopf Division Aufklärung Wrap

Luftwaffe Hermann Göring Division NCOs Wrap Set

Army Aufklärung NCOs Bandsman's Wrap Tunic
                        Our Price: $11,995.00

Panzer Polizei Hauptwachtmeister's Wrap Tunic
                        Our Price: $7,995.00

Comment

Army Panzer General's Field Cap.
                          Our Price: $4,095.00

Army Panzer General's Field Cap.
                          Our Price: $3,995.00

Army Panzer General's Field Cap
                          Our Price: $4,195.00

Army Panzer Officer's Overseas Cap
                          Our Price: $2,795.00

Hermann Göring Panzer Division EM/NCO Field Cap
                          Our Price: $1,995.00

Army Panzer Signals Enlisted/NCOs Overseas Cap
                          Our Price: $1,325.00

Comment

Early War Army Panzer M-34 EM/NCOs Overseas Cap
                            Our Price: $2,195.00

Army Panzer Signals Enlisted/NCOs Overseas Cap
                            Our Price: $1,325.00

Army Panzer Enlisted/NCOs Overseas Cap
                            Our Price: $1,395.00

Army Panzer Enlisted/NCOs Overseas Cap
                            Our Price: $1,425.00

Army Panzer Enlisted/NCOs M-43 Field Cap
                            Our Price: $2,395.00

Comment

Thanks for re-posting the photos

Comment

Originally posted by A c h t u n g ! View Post
                                The pictures are still on his site, you just have to find it, so save them before they are gone.

Many thanks.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X