This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by km-spain View Post
    ...I have tried to scan it in my best quality, but at home is the best I can do, if you need a better one I'll do at work.
    Hi Eduardo,

Is is possible to make out the career insignia on his shoulder straps? I was just wonderiing if he could have been a gun crew chief (despite wearing the blue uniform for the photo) since that would go along with the blue and silver interwoven braid. Anything written on the back?

Cheers.
    ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
      Hi Eduardo,

Is is possible to make out the career insignia on his shoulder straps? I was just wonderiing if he could have been a gun crew chief (despite wearing the blue uniform for the photo) since that would go along with the blue and silver interwoven braid. Anything written on the back?

Cheers.
      ---Norm
      Norm, I think that it has nothing writting on the back, I will check. Tomorrow I will scan it in high resolution at the office and try to see the carrer insignia on the shoulders and the cord better.
      Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
      Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Norm, this is the best I can do, but I can not see the shoulder device clearly to know the career.
        Attached Files

Regards
        Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

Comment

Hi all, finally I got some new amazing pieces that some of you have seen already.

Here my T&H lanyards colelction.

Norm as you can see there is an original 1st class one in blue with the gold shield.
          Attached Files

Regards
          Eduardo

Comment

Hi Eduardo,

So you were the one who bought the whole collection! I only wanted a small part and could never compete with you on that scale!

Congratulations. Very nice additions to your prodigious collection.

Yes, it's clear from this and from period photos that the plain blue one was used for all levels 1 through 4. The interwoven blue and silver schnur was for chiefs of gun crews, and for torpedo gunners.

They obviously sold the schnur both with and without the shield sewn on, and the acorns separately so you could assemble the appropriate level of award.

But what I find really interesting is that you have there both a plain blue and a blue and silver interwoven schnur which are made of wool, aside from the one in artificial silk. All the descriptions I've read say that the wool ones were for official awarding while the artificial silk were private purchase, but now I'm not so sure about that since the they seem to have a price tag on the interwoven wool one.

But what does this mean? The tag seems to have 2 prices -- one for V.K. and one for E.K.?

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Norm, I agree with you about the graduation and its use, finally Angolia was right in his description.

About the price labels, could be as you say that the wool ones was used for official awards and the other in silk was private purchase, but in any case somebody had to pay it, the OKM or the sailor. And all of them has different prices on the back, could be depending of the finish of the piece, with the shield or not, with the device or not, ... I really can not read these labels but if anybody can I will take good pictures of them.
              Last edited by km-spain; 05-19-2011, 11:41 AM.

Regards
              Eduardo

Comment

trans

R.u.R. Fabrikab.(zeichen?)
                mit handgestochenem
                Schieber 2.50 MK V.K.
                E.K. 1.95

Marine-Schiess
                auszeichnung f.(uer)
                Kanonier-und
                Rohrmstr., blau
                Wolle, mit
                Alu.(minium) durchwirkt

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                  R.u.R. Fabrikab.(zeichen?)
                  mit handgestochenem
                  Schieber 2.50 MK V.K.
                  E.K. 1.95

Marine-Schiess
                  auszeichnung f.(uer)
                  Kanonier-und
                  Rohrmstr., blau
                  Wolle, mit
                  Alu.(minium) durchwirkt
                  Thanks very much, pauke.

Eduardo, so your interesting photo of the Feldwebel with the blue and silver interwoven schnur was probably a "Kanoniermeister", some level below 4?
                  No doubt a pre-war photo judging by:
                  a) their happiness and clothing
                  b) he's wearing no war badges
                  c) the Schützenschnurs were abandoned shortly after the start of the war

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

Thanks pauke, very helpfull .

Norm, that's my feeling. I love these pieces because they give us many additional information.

Regards
                    Eduardo

Comment

Great pieces, and your stunning set was just simply the icing on the Cake Eduardo

AH

Comment

Hi Guys,

I was fortunate enough (with a lot of patience) to pick up just the item I was looking for to match the photo of my Dad -- a Level 1 standard issue wool Schützenschnur with two black acorns.

I now have most of the elements to create my display, and now I have to figure out the layout and work out some means of safely mounting them to a backing.

Here's one possible arrangement.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

First off, I have just discovered this and while I can't contribute with examples or any knowledge that hasn't been discussed. Let me just say that I commend all who have tracked down and the deductive reasoning behind these awards.
                          The documents shown are incredible.

NormF: that display looks wonderful. Very nice indeed.

Thanks to all.
                          Regards,
                          JustinG

Comment

Thanks Justin. Here's the final product all mounted and hanging. No insignia were harmed in the making of this display.

I was pleased to finally complete this display to commemorate my Dad's service as a Funker on the Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee in 1937. The exact type of Schützenschnur turned out to be the most elusive item, even more difficult than the lovely Mützenband acquired with the kind assistance of John Robinson a couple of years ago.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys, wow Norm that display looks totally killer and I have only just seen the pics!
                              I have recently collected a heap of Panzerschiff stuff but still need to get to it so I can get
                              Some display shots. Totally impressed and congratulations!

Kind Regards,
                              JustinC

Comment

Collectors,
                                Here is another cool pic of the Schnur in wear i'd thought I'd share with a nice Tally Cap
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X