No announcement yet.

EK I S&L Opinions - Post War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not a can of worms -- it's just an interesting discussion. And that's what we're here for!
    George

Comment

I also have this same hardware on a marked S&L EKI. And, I have no reason to believe it is a postwar cross. Here are some photos...

Robert
      Attached Files

Comment

The core...
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like an exact match to mine.

Thanks Robert.

Wayne

Comment

Wayne,

They used this same type hinge on their flak and GA badges.

Robert

Comment

And, in the interests of full disclosure, I own one of these too. (And I also own a TR-era made 1914 S&L EK 1 with the same reverse set-up, very dull paint, and no PKZ number on the pin.)
              Attached Files
              George

Comment

IMO, some of the crosses w/ the fixtures mentioned in this thread are most certainly post war made (from leftover parts, probably by SL for the early post war occupation market). But there may be wartime examples w/ these fittings as well. The "issues" w/ SL extend beyond the RK IMO. George, I would consider your cross to be post war. These typically have crude soldering and also lack the frosting and finish found on wartime awards. The version posted by Robert may be a wartime example. Again, this is all just my opinion. Also, regarding the markings, L/11 marks can be found on 1957 EK1s. The 4 mark is not a firm indicator of wartime vs postwar IMO.....

Also, the first cross in this thread has a finish that, to my eye, looks like a 57 version (glittery). I think it is post war as well.

Originally posted by George Stimson View Post
                And, in the interests of full disclosure, I own one of these too. (And I also own a TR-era made 1914 S&L EK 1 with the same reverse set-up, very dull paint, and no PKZ number on the pin.)
                Last edited by Luftm40; 05-31-2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I believe you almost have to have these in hand to properly judge. There is no question but that S&L (and/or its employees, working from their homes in many cases) assembled pieces postwar from existing stock (including parts already marked with the "4"). The key, as Andy points out, is in the way these postwar pieces were put together and finished. After May, 1945, there was no need to meet any quality standards.

Comment

Fair enough!
                    George

Comment

Thanks Andy.

Very interesting. Now I'm in a quandary as to whether I send the cross back or
                      not.

The back of mine is definitely shiny like the 57's.

Wayne

Comment

Just an observation - the 9:00 arms on Wayne's and George's crosses are heavily flawed, where mine shows no flaws whatsoever.

Robert

Comment

It helps to put the post war production issue in context. I also collect US militaria. Many very early German occupation US groups (I'm talking 46-49) contain insignia, patches and ribbon bars made by prolific TR era makers. Assmann, BEVO...you name it, and often completely maker marked. I recently saw a set of early occupation made US enamel DUIs (Distinctive Unit Insignia) made from the reused planchets of NSDAP party badges, complete w/ the RZM markings on the back. German makers adapted very quickly to new markets when the war ended. IMO, TR badges and medals were produced in large numbers during the early occupation era. The "it was illegal" argument is a very tenuous thread from which to dangle! Again, all just my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                            Just an observation - the 9:00 arms on Wayne's and George's crosses are heavily flawed, where mine shows no flaws whatsoever.

Robert
                            The lower arm also has a few small flaws that can be seen under the loop.

Doubt if they show up in my scan.

The block hinge is raised slightly and does not touch the cross.

Soldering is relatively neat and not messy at all.

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post

Robert

I noticed it too, but left that part out

oh GOD, here we go

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hopkins View Post
                                It helps to put the post war production issue in context. I also collect US militaria. Many very early German occupation US groups (I'm talking 46-49) contain insignia, patches and ribbon bars made by prolific TR era makers. Assmann, BEVO...you name it, and often completely maker marked. I recently saw a set of early occupation made US enamel DUIs (Distinctive Unit Insignia) made from the reused planchets of NSDAP party badges, complete w/ the RZM markings on the back. German makers adapted very quickly to new markets when the war ended. IMO, TR badges and medals were produced in large numbers during the early occupation era. The "it was illegal" argument is a very tenuous thread from which to dangle! Again, all just my opinion!
                                Food for thought indeed...

One of my closest friend's father was a supply sergeant in postwar Germany. He sent home many 3' X 3' white 'card paper' boards with misc. German badges and medals attached to them. Interestingly, they were all in mint condition. I can't help but think these 'trophies' were produced postwar to feed the demand which certainly existed. Of our cherished mint examples we have in our collections today, how many fall into this scenario?

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X