No announcement yet.

Panzer Lanyard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks sweet Robert the hanging canon ammo rounds are especially cool...I only have a grade 1, There is a HUGE difference of how the eagle looks and also the detail of the tank? is this also going to be something to collect by MAKER

Comment

Dear RObert,

I would agree with your assesmment that the backing might be a replacement. Most of the lanyards I have seen have a gray backing. If possible blacklight it. Also if there is an "extra" piece of thrad available snip it and try the burn test on it.

Other than that a nice mint piece. As you know the Panzer marksmanship lanyards are quite hard to come by. I have only seen a handful and never any of the high grades. Even the "more common" regular Army lanyards are almost impossible to attain in the higher grades.

My friend has the comlpete series of Luftwaffe lanyards and it is quite a sight to see....it was also quite a shock to his wallet, I might add! (those higher grades will cost ya!!)

Gary B
      ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Jeff and Gary,
        thanks for your "input".

Jeff, the 1st grade got the different "badge" design then "badge" from grades 5 to 8. The good news is, you will need only 11 more to complete your Panzer Lanyard collection.
        However could you please tell me how many knots (twists in the main cord) your Lanyard got? On mine example I got 16.

Gary, I did blacklight it and the material is not glowing, however I’m almost 100% positive that this is not an original back cloth…
        What is interesting too, I cannot find any traces after the anti rubbing material existance. No leftovers from thread no damage to the cord, nothing…

Comment

Hi Robert
          my first type has 14 knots I also believe my balls on either end are more attractive-I hope that doesn't sound to strange

Comment

Jeff,
            Thanks. Your balls information is very important to me.........
            Many thanks for this info.
            Can other members check their Lanyards for Knots (twists in the main cord) count as well?
            Originally posted by VonLuger
            Hi Robert
            my first type has 14 knots I also believe my balls on either end are more attractive-I hope that doesn't sound to strange

Comment

Here is Lanyard 1st grade from Jeff. In my opinion it is great looking, original piece.

Comment

Picture#2

Comment

Picture#3

Comment

Ok guys,
                    Bad news for me. I'm 100% positive that posted by me lanyard is fake. You can buy exactly the same type of cords of the internet for price range 15 to 25 Euro...If I’m correct this type of cord is used by today’s German Armed Forces...

Comment

OMG .... sorry to hear that, Robert. Can you return it?

kr
                      Indy

Comment

Originally posted by Indy
                        OMG .... sorry to hear that, Robert. Can you return it?

kr
                        Indy
                        Yes, the money is not a problem here...i'm just so deeply disappointed in this, because i was hoping that i found really nice and Panzer related item...
                        The only positive thing – I have learned a lot about those Lanyards in the last 24 hrs...

Comment

Lanyard

This morning I PM'd Robert to explain that I thought this was a "put together" Marksmanship Lanyard. Points to look at:

1. Wool oval backing is not period correct and it is sloppily sewn on with strange color thread.

2. All 3 knots, particularly the large ones just below the badge and at the bottom of the lanyard are not what I expect to see on period lanyards.

3. I look for "14" cord twists on period lanyards; this one has 14+.

The badge may be good and I like the shells.

Several members have stated these Panzer Marksmanship Lanyards do not surface very often. That is correct. Back at an OVMS show in 1978 I was offered a bunch of 10, Grade 1s, for $100 total. I didn't have much money so just bought 1 and Bob Johnson (Battlefield Museum) bought the other 9.

The book Uniforms, Organization and History of the PANZERTRUPPE by Bender and Odegard gives some photos and drawings of the Panzer Marksmanship Lanyards on pages 190-192 which are very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Curley
                            The badge may be good and I like the shells.
                            Thanks Tim for your help and thanks for posting in this thread...
                            Also, I agree with Tim that badge is looking good. The main problem is with this type of the cord, which as i discovered tonight could be acquired from the internet without any problems...
                            Ok, so much for the Panzer Lanyard's collecting. I’m back to the PAB’s…
                            Last edited by robert60446; 02-07-2006, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Well after giving this some thought I'm afraid these lanyards ar very much undeveloped teritory. In fact what do we know about them apart form the fact that they came in different grades and how they roughly should look.

As far as these items are concerned I'm not aware of any study being done on them like we used to do on a daily basis when it comes to badges. The reason for this IMO is double. On the one hand there isn't much interest in them and on the other hand there doesn't seem to be much research material arround especialy when it come to the higher grades.

So is Robert's lanyard a fake? After comparing his cord with the cord on my examples I admit that it is different especialy the knots seem to be rather plain constructions compared to what I see on mine. On the other hand who can tell for sure which type of cords were used on these Lanyards. Were the all the same or were different companies involved in their production resulting in variants? I really would know and ask myself the same question when it comes to the emblems.

I have a feeling that there is still a lot to learn on the subject but to be able to do so we would need research material. I already posted my two lanyards in seperate threads and remember that this never lead to anybody else posting his lanyards, so nothing to compare to and as a result nothing to learn.

I'll post them again in this thread and can only hope that some more "lanyard owners" will jump on the wagon.

First the 1 grade featuring 14 cord twists
                              Attached Files

Comment

reverse 1
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X