• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The overall look

Comment

Comment

For Dave,

Comment

Every breadbag I could find seemed to have the canteen strap sewn on, except for Austrian ones, but they in turn have sewn-on shoulder straps.

Comment

This last one, i'm not sure of the era. Possibly even SA or DJ/HJ?? Or postwar commercial?

Comment

Originally posted by Frentebro
              This last one, i'm not sure of the era. Possibly even SA or DJ/HJ?? Or postwar commercial?
              Its not a good photo but does look like an early one.

Comment

The last one certainly appears to be Third Reich paramilitary to me. The first one with all the rivets I am pretty sure is postwar commercial.

Chris P.

Comment

Originally posted by cpittman
                  The last one certainly appears to be Third Reich paramilitary to me. The first one with all the rivets I am pretty sure is postwar commercial.

Chris P.
                  Thanks for your thoughts.
                  There is actually 3 seperate bags in the photos.I've confused the issue by posting a couple of bags up for Dave.(2nd photo and last photo).

The last one suspected 1st ww, the first (blue one with rivets), is most definetly post-war, its the Tan one with fancy buttons that I suspect maybe HJ or SA ?

Is that the same bag you think maybe paramilitary?- It has no leather stitched on to the front for a water-bottle, nor has no D-rings whatsoever.

Cheers,

Comment

Yes, the blue riveted one is absolutely new-made - i believe such bags are still used in Germany by hikers, etc.

Comment

To clarify, I think of the 3 bread bags, one is postwar and two are Third Reich paramilitary. I don't think the last one is WWI but I may be wrong, I believe the WWI bags were a different color. This appears to have the olive tan color of Third Reich items to me.

Chris P.

Comment

I have one of the DDR Blumentarn canteens, but were there Blumentarn breadbags? I've never seen one....

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Chris.

Dave, thats a interesting point, are their any types of camo breadbags? - maybe deemed not a necessity due to where it was/is worn?

Comment

The only DDR breadbag i know of myself is the gray police/Kampfgruppen version.

However, the Blumentarn & Strichtarn canteens are certainly set up for breadbag carry. Others may know more about this.

Baer vol. 3 page 453 has a 1959 photo of DDR troops on an exercise. They appear to be wearing gray (?) breadbags, with a 3rd Reich style wool covered canteen with small cup.
                            Last edited by Frentebro; 07-12-2005, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X