griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reproduction EK II Spange on tunic-decrease in value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reproduction EK II Spange on tunic-decrease in value?

I recently bought an officers tunic as all original-but it had a cast EK II (fake) spange on it. The tunic is nice, insignia appears period applied etc. and it "fits" with a death card that was in the pocket and I would like to keep it.

The seller and I agreed that we would post the problem on the WA and ask members how much they thought this would reduce the overall value of the tunic and then adjust the purchase price accordingly. I have a price in mind but wanted to see what others think as well.

Thank you for your opinions-

Here is the tunic-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=878311

And the results of the Spange evaluation -

One pin was already missing and another pin was broken (in shipping apparently) and hanging on the ribbon so I removed it without bending the remaining two pins to photograph the back.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=881229

I suppose that if it was sold as original then you should get a refund for whatever an original is worth..$150-$200 maybe,I have no idea.

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

refund

Get at least $250 back as the spange is rare if original which it is not. Jim

Comment

value

The value of a Spange should be the difference in price. Or have the seller supply an original at whatever it costs him.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think we have decided on $200.00 which I think is fair to both of us.

Comment

Glad you guys worked out a good solution.

Comment

John, did the original owner ever receive a Spange, or were you able to find that out?

Don

Comment

I am still working on getting more info on him.

There is no name tag in the tunic but it had the "Death Card" for a man who was a Hauptmann and Battalion Commander which would match the shoulder boards and a typical rank of a commander for a Pionier Battalion at the end of the war. In the photo the collar tab piping is dark and although you cannot read the unit numbers there are some being worn with two digits.

The tailor tag is for Munich where the man died and the unit (PB 47) was formed and garrisoned. That unit was expanded to P. Brigade 47 with two battalions in late 1944 and were placed with the 7th Army and also surrendered in the area of Munich where he died in a hospital October 10th, 1945. He is the age where he would have served as an enlisted soldier/NCO in WWI and could have received an EK II. At the start of the War, he was with Eisenbahn Pio. Regiment 68. He may have been wounded and sat out part of the war.

No smoking gun. And of course, everything I figured out, someone else could have looked up and just matched the death card to the a tunic to enhance value etc. but so far the math is working out fairly well.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Johnny R; 10-04-2016, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X