Information sought on Prussian Army canteens in use in 1889

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Information sought on Prussian Army canteens in use in 1889

I have been writing about the evolution of canteens of the Japanese Army from 1895 till 1945, which is here http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=822083 In connection to this article, I would like to find out what kind of canteen design in what material was being used by the Prussian army in the years 1889 and 1895 respectively. At these two points German canteens were supplied to Japan as samples and was used as reference for the Japanese canteens under development at that time.

In the article, I explain that as of 1894/95 the army was using a leather covered glass canteen. However, this could not withstand minus 20 degree centigrade climate in China, so they came up with a new aluminum design in 1898.

The first German connection was a memo dated December 1889, when an Army Major from Japan brought back what is referred to as a Jäger canteen from Germany and the next year, 120 prototypes entered field testing possibly based on the sample. Was Prussia using something similar to the glass canteen in my article?

The second German connection was in Feb. 1895, when a military supplier named John Brandes in Berlin supplied Japan with samples of his "aluminum military gear as had most recently been introduced by the German army", which included a canteen. Unfortunately my knowledge of German gear reach back at best to WW1 and I am totally out of depths on gear from the 19 century. If you are an association member, you are welcome to post photos etc directly in my article, if using a photo service please post here and I will re-upload them, so the photos don't disappear later from my article.

Was able to find the answer myself, so no further help is needed, thank you.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X