FLL Cupal Destroyer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLL Cupal Destroyer!

Bet you don't have one of these weighs in at a whopping 11.9g and interestingly there doesn't appear to be any sign of finish apart from a dull gilt/ bronze finish across the entire badge which is actually in very good condition.

From what I recall of the example Weitze had, the finish was the same, although that one was more worn with the hook lost and the pin replaced.

Anyway hope you like it- as far as I know this is only the second one found.
    Attached Files

////
    Attached Files

Comment

;;;;
      Attached Files

Comment

can't say I've seen that one before!

Was is cleaned, is that why the finish is gone? Looks like it once had finish applied.

William Kramer
        Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

There is a finish there but it is this bronze colour, the copper just shows through on the high points. here are the pictures of Weitze's- again can't see any trace of silver or grey on the ship
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Patrick

Thaks for allways digging up these esotic pieces and sharing them

BR. Thomas

Comment

I don't know how you always do it Patrick, but you do!! Although I have never seen such a badge before, it is 100% believable. Correct FLL hardware and construction, and we know FLL used Cupal on some of their LW badges (i.e. Observers and ROAGs).

Great find, keep it up.

Tom
              If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
              [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Great find
                Thanx for sharing with us, first timer for me.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Great to see another example! This is DC# 4.1.2 in the comprehensive Destroyer classification system. Back when I added it to that table I had broken my own rule of including only variants for which more than 1 example exist, but I just figured that Weitze example couldn't be the only one...

Thanks for showing this one as proof!

Now the question is whether that main pin on the Weitze example was a replacement -- it looks less "FLL-like" than the round-wire pin on your example.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

What a cool and interesting badge. Not a KM collector but thought I would do a little more research. FLL Destroyer is not listed in the The Kriegsmarine Awards by Weber/Skora at all much less this variant. I would think they would like to include in the next revision. Must be uber rare. How fortunate you found one and knew what you were looking at. Thumbs up.

Comment

thanks for the comments Guys, was indeed a very lucky find

Comment

Originally posted by rfleming32 View Post
                        FLL Destroyer is not listed in the The Kriegsmarine Awards by Weber/Skora at all much less this variant. I would think they would like to include in the next revision. Must be uber rare.
                        The FLL-attributed Destroyer in Tombak is shown on pages 90-91 of Volume III (and page 90 is reproduced here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...72#post6062472). And as mentioned previously, it's included in the Destroyer classification system in the pinned thread.

At the time of "The Kriegsmarine Awards, Vol. III", the Cupal variant wasn't mentioned because only the single Weitze example was known so it was still a "one-off" at that time.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm

Comment

Yes it was Norm. For those of you who do not know, the German version was heavily edited and published in English by Dietrich Maerz to include a Vol. III. Vol. III is no longer available as a single book, it must be bought with Vol. I and Vol. II.

Norm, you are supposed to be taking photos for me aboard SS Great Britain!!!!

Not posting here.

John
                          Attached Files

Comment

By the way, the young sailor on the cover of Vol. III is Norm's father and the tally reads Graf Spee, one of his many assignments through officer rank to the end of the war fighting in Italy.

With a great deal of luck, he arrived home in 1948 or so after being taken prisoner by the partisans in Yugoslavia after Germany surrendered.

John
                            Last edited by John R.; 05-13-2015, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Wow Patrick!
                              Great find! Thanks for showing that ultra rare beauty
                              Cheers,
                              Hubert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X