X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forgot the badge edge.
    Attached Files

Comment

Head shot, also please comment on the "shadowing" of the maker mark visible on one of the below photos.
      Attached Files

Comment

It is also interesting to note that in the s weber km book, the Schwerin example they included has the more "rounded" protrusion instead of more square like your photos. Perhaps some were more hand finished than others depending on time period when produced?

Comment

FYI I have seen others that had the shadow maker mark, which I'd guess was from the blank shifting. Here's one from a while back that you can also compare it to.

As far as the SOS, I was surprised I didn't have any other interest on my Beco U boat I had for sale at the SOS...was pricy at first, but I lowered it towards the end and still no action. If nothing else, I would've thought the KM collectors would've been interested in examining what's easily one of the rarest U Boat badges out there as they may never see another in hand.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=416983

Comment

George:
            Thanks for the link. The guilding on mine is pretty thick, however, in the areas that are more detailed than the others indicated, I can see similar saw marks as the one on the link. Maybe just made earlier when more time was available for finishing??
            Marc

Comment

100% great badge. Reminds me of the HSF sold by Bob Hritz recently, which was finished in detail, I believe at the factory.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=703468

Do not worry, yours is period, just finished a bit more for a reason unknown to us now.

John

Comment

Marc, a great question on the final finishing, and one I don't have an answer for, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Indycollector View Post
                  On this photo, under high magnification, you can see almost like a shadowing of the lettering, is this normal. Purchased from very reputable dealer, sure I can return if any issues. Thanks in advance for the thoughts.
                  Marc
                  There is no problem with maker mark. John

Comment

Originally posted by Indycollector View Post
                    It is also interesting to note that in the s weber km book, the Schwerin example they included has the more "rounded" protrusion instead of more square like your photos.
                    Hi Marc,

The badge in The Kriegsmarine Awards on page 472 is actually the common type with the standard cutouts, unlike yours and George's.

As the others have said your badge is clearly an original Schwerin which your photos confirm beyond a doubt.

Originally posted by George L View Post
                    Here's one from a while back that you can also compare it to.
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=416983
                    Thanks for the link, George. I had missed that thread from 2010 and indeed it's another example of this rare hand-finished variant.

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                    Do not worry, yours is period, just finished a bit more for a reason unknown to us now.

John
                    But it's not just finished a bit more, but rather it was produced without the standard trimming stamp for the internal cutouts and then underwent the laborious hand finishing. I think both these examples (Marc's and George's) are a very cool and uncommon variant, possibly the earliest production.

It's interesting that Marc's badge has no trace of the flaw that is often seen to varying extents on the sail and and dragon's head. I believe these flaws may be an artifact produced by the trimming stamp as opposed to the obverse die.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Norm F; 03-02-2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Norm, my pleasure, hope it helped!

Comment

Thanks to all for the detailed analysis! Think I will definitely keep it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X