Sardinia1943 is still available

(inside joke)

Comment

Another original case hardware for reference:
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by joshlichty View Post
        Another original case hardware for reference:
        That nice example posted by Josh again shows the typical Schwerin case.
        Having said that, I did manage to find one other example with a faux leather case like the one in question from the start of the thread. This one is from a vendor's site in Germany and it's (so far) the only other Schwerin set I've seen with this same case. The case itself is quite worn but the badge appears unworn...not sure what this means now.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Here's the badge from that set.
            Attached Files

Comment

So what does this mean? Were there two different types of large Schwerin case -- the usual faux-woven type and an uncommon faux-leather type? Or were the faux-leather sets put together after the war? We need some more examples to figure this out.

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Thanks, Norm, it's really informative to see all these examples.

Comment

Found another one of these atypical cases on Weitze's site.
                  Attached Files

Comment

In it is a blockade breaker set, but this time not Schwerin. You can see again that the large slot opening is not a good match to the pin of a Blockade Breaker badge.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Included in this set is the zinc Meybauer-type badge and a mini similar to the Schwerin design but cruder detail, different pin type and odd white finish.
                      Whether this set was all together originally I really couldn't say, but regardless I'm back to thinking this type of case is NOT the right type for a Schwerin set.
                      Attached Files

Comment

A quick compilation showing the liners of three examples of the atypical type (top) and three typical Schwerin cases (bottom), both large and small types. It's clear to see that the shape of the opening for the main pin is quite different on the top ones with a rather ragged, unneccessarily wide opening for both the pin and the catch. Doesn't seem right for the Schwerin Blockade Breaker badge, and the only question that remains is what were they originally intended for?

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here's another example of the "atypical" case from the internet, this one containing a nice zinc Schwerin and Tombak mini.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Norm F; 10-19-2014, 11:08 AM.

Comment

the badges in that case.
                            Attached Files

Comment

So what we've seen so far is:
                              1) Almost all Schwerin BB sets with the large mini come in the standard large case with the woven cloth texture exterior and plush blue velour interior.
                              2) Almost all Schwerin BB sets with the small 9 mm mini come in the standard small case with the woven cloth texture exterior and the plush blue flocking interior.
                              3) Uncommonly we see the case with the linear grain faux leather exterior and shallow blue flocking interior, and so far in this thread we've seen it in combination with:
                              a) Tombak dishback Schwerin and 9 mm mini
                              b) Tombak flatback Schwerin and large mini
                              c) zinc flatback Schwerin and large mini
                              d) Meybauer zinc BB and unknown large mini

I don't know what this means. Perhaps there was a standard Schwerin case accounting for (1) and (2) above, and a similar yet different case (3) that was available for private purchase in LDO shops, mixed and matched with different products?

Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Norm F; 03-04-2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Norm,

In post ''27'' that is a ''D&B'' made (D&B are the actual initials of the company) case, the specific base type and recess aperture has an identification code of, ''2599.''

Now, I won't say in relation to the ''award'' or indeed suggest that it is case specific, per se. That is, I've often found that both D&B constructed cases and their internal components, and those bases marked with the ''KB'' identification codes had a multi-use in an array of cases for several differing awards. If we look at this very D&B case you will notice that the badge platform resembles the very form of a base we might encounter in a Luft case, perhaps; I use the latter as an example only.

You will also with D&B constructed cases find the ''base'' and ''lid'' of the actual case shell will normally adorn an embossed part assembly number too. They also tend to have very distinct outer-covering pattern/s and once identified can easily be spotted of course. I have also found that on several pre war Luft cases that are constructed mainly of wood that the catch mechanism was marked with a very, very small D&B mark also.

Note: D&B codes and the KB identification codes are very similar processes of a system, but are ultimately two different concerns. Also, KB is not a manufacturer as stated if you search threads from years ago.

There are other questions in relation to differences that I might be able to shed some light on too; I will get back to this thread as soon as I can and give you a few thoughts.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X