Clear All

U-boat badge original? - Meybauer U-Boat Timeline

Please opinions.
    Attached Files

Pics 2.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Overlord1944,

It's a good Meybauer zinc U-boat. It shows some variable hand finishing of the margins. Yours is the variant with the squared wire main pin as opposed to the round wire.

There's one unusual feature of yours - the large rectangular base plate under the hinge. Usually the hinge is attached without a base plate on these.

Here's the reverse view of one with the round wire main pain and no base plate under the hinge.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

The L/13 maker mark is usually bigger on these zincers (see attached), but I've seen a small one like on your badge which interestingly was also on a square wire main pin variant.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Norm F; 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I'm just noticing that the tombak versions I've seen use the squared wire main pin and the smaller maker mark. Perhaps the zincers with these features are earlier than the round wire, larger mark version?

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Okay Guys, having looked things over a bit I think we can start to put together a brief Meybauer U-boat timeline as follows:

Type 1 - Tombak, cut-out swastika, hand-cut below the submarine, small maker mark, flattened-wire main pin; round-wire catch

Type 2 - zinc, cut-out swastika, hand-cut below the submarine, small maker mark, flattened-wire main pin; round-wire catch with base plate
            2A - no base plate under hinge
            2B - base plate under hinge (Only one example seen so far?)

Type 3 - zinc, cut-out swastika, standardized cutout below the submarine, large maker mark, flattened-wire main pin; round-wire catch with base plate

Type 4 - zinc, cut-out swastika, standardized cutout below the submarine, large maker mark, round-wire main pin; round-wire catch with base plate

Type 5 - zinc, solid swastika, standardized cutout below the submarine, large maker mark, round-wire main pin; round-wire catch with base plate

Type 6 - zinc, solid swastika, standardized cutout below the submarine, large maker mark, round-wire main pin; square-wire catch with no base plate

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Last edited by Norm F; 02-12-2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
              Type 1 - Tombak, cut-out swastika, hand-cut internal margins and around eagle head, small maker mark, flattened-wire main pin; round-wire catch

Type 2 - zinc, cut-out swastika, hand-cut internal margins and around eagle head, small maker mark, flattened-wire main pin; round-wire catch with base plate
              2A - no base plate under hinge
              2B - base plate under hinge (Only one example seen so far?)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Norm F; 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Type 3 - zinc, cut-out swastika, standardized internal cutouts and around eagle head, large maker mark, flattened-wire main pin; round-wire catch with base plate

Type 4 - zinc, cut-out swastika, standardized internal cutouts and around eagle head, large maker mark, round-wire main pin; round-wire catch with base plate
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Norm F; 02-12-2012, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Type 5 - zinc, solid swastika, standardized internal cutouts and around eagle head, large maker mark, round-wire main pin; round-wire catch with base plate

Type 6 - zinc, solid swastika, standardized internal cutouts and around eagle head, large maker mark, round-wire main pin; square-wire catch with no base plate
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Norm F; 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

And here's a final comparison between a Type 1 Tombak and a Type 5 zincer to highlight the differences between early and late Meybauer U-boats.

You can see the hand cut margins on the Type 1 (which vary between examples) compared with the standardized cutouts of the later type which are done with a stamp. This same evolution of cutout technique is evident in the U-boat badges of C.E. Juncker from early to late.

You can also see the evolution from flattened-wire main pin to round-wire main pin and the change from the small maker mark L/13 stamp to the larger one.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Overlord1944,
                      I agree with Norm, nice Meybauer zincer

Norm, I thought you will work out in detail Schickle U-boats first
                      Very nice timeline Thanks for sharing, it should be pinned.
                      Cheers,
                      Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                        Overlord1944,
                        Norm, I thought you will work out in detail Schickle U-boats first
                        I got side-tracked! But it's all up here...

Comment

Outstanding Norm.

My badge, type 1.

John
                          Attached Files

Comment

last
                            Attached Files

Comment

Pinned here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...64#post2251964
                              Last edited by Norm F; 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X